Trouble syncing using Dropbox after upgrading from v.6 to v.7 on Macs.

Options
mravizza
mravizza
Community Member

I love 1Password and have been using it for years in conjunction with Dropbox. I bought a license for v.7 but when I tried to update from v.6 on my Macs, 1Password stopped syncing. It works fine on each individual computer, but changes made on one Mac aren't reflected on the others. I also use 1password with Pro features on my IOS devices and they also stopped syncing.

I have spent hours reading your forums and trying to follow the detailed advice, but I am completely defeated. My best guess is that the upgrade may have messed up because of "sandboxing problems": I did not have my "~/.agilekeychain" in one of the normal Dropbox locations (i.e., ~/Dropbox/1Password/* and ~/Dropbox/Apps/1Password as described in the following Forum discussion:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/90432/1p7-and-dropbox-path-requirements.

However, I am not at all sure that this IS the problem. In desperation, I finally deleted v.7 programs from my macs (by dragging the v.7 programs to the trash); however, I think the .opvault files that apparently v.7 creates are still somewhere on my computers (I don't know how to find them). I put v.6 programs back on the macs, relinked them to my old ".agilekeychain" file in Dropbox, and I seem to be able to sync again. However, now the problem is that the v.6 program on one of the macs is asking for a license. When I check the v.6 license on the other computer it says: "You are licensed. Purchased on Mac App Store" Here is the image:

From reading your other forums, I saw the recommended solution is to go to the Mac App Store under "purchases" and download v.6. Unfortunately (for some reason which again I don't understand) I only see my old 1password v. 3 program and v.7, but not v.6.

At this point I can see two options forward:

1. Please help me find a way to license v.6 on my new Mac using my v.6 license from my other Mac. Then I can keep using v.6 with my old "~/agilekeychain." (I already wasted $50 on the v.7 license and I don't want to have to pay again for v.6 license that I already bought.)

2. Try to move forward reinstalling v.7. However, I have lost so many hours trying to do this that I am not optimistic about this approach. So unless there is some relatively easy fix, I would prefer to switch back to v.6 and get back to my real job.

Thanks in advance for the help. Any advice you can offer would be much appreciated!

1Password Version: OS 6.8.9 and IOS 7.1.1
Extension Version: 4.7.2
OS Version: OSX 10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:mac

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @mravizza! Sorry for the trouble you've had upgrading to 1Password 7 for Mac. Let's get you back up and running! To start with, you have not "wasted" your money. I'd strongly recommend you continue with 1Password 7 for Mac because version 6 is now in legacy status, which means it will not be receiving further development attention or new features. Sticking with it will mean you're essentially frozen in amber, which seems OK now, with the days of version 6 being the current version only a few months ago. But moving forward, it's going to seem increasingly rickety and aged as time progresses. But if you absolutely insist, then we will certainly refund your purchase of 1Password 7 for Mac.

To get a better idea of what's where on your device(s), what I'd like to do here is ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices.

—Mac—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

—iOS—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?ios

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics emails before sending them:

[#SIT-61546-132]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. We'll take a look and let you know what we find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @mravizza only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: SIT-61546-132

• mravizza
    mravizza
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much for your prompt reply, Lars. I appreciate the help! I have sent you the diagnostic reports and look forward to hearing from you. Please let me know if you need any more information.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mravizza - yep! Replying now, won't take me but a few more minutes. :)

• mravizza
    mravizza
    Community Member
    Options

Dear Lars, I already sent you an email, but I also wanted to thank you on the public forum. Your expert advice and detailed instructions completely saved me. I am now once again a happy 1Password user with everything syncing across all my devices! So grateful that you not only encouraged me to stick with 1Password 7, but also showed me how to make it work. Thanks much, Mark

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mravizza - wow, thanks for the kind words. I was happy to help. :) Glad everything went smoothly for you, and enjoy 1Password 7 for Mac!

• learning curve
    learning curve
    Community Member
    Options

I have a similar problem. My IOS devices and my MacBook are syncing ok through Dropbox, but my iMac hasn't been synced for a year which is about the time I got &. Help, please

• learning curve
    learning curve
    Community Member
    Options

Typo -- it should be 7, not "&"

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@learning curve - sorry to hear about the trouble! Often, when one device out of several is the only one not syncing in an otherwise successful sync setup, the problem is that at some point, you've inadvertently used a different sync keychain in Dropbox. Here's how to check: open 1Password on either of your devices that IS syncing with one another, and look for the specific sync keychain file path:

• in 1Password for iOS, you'll find it at Settings > Sync > (vault name) > Sync Service. You should see the full file path there (including whether it's an OPVault or an Agile Keychain).
    • in 1Password for Mac, go to Preferences > Sync, select the vault, and you'll see the file path.

Are all three identical? Or is your iMac using a different sync keychain (or none at all)?

• learning curve
    learning curve
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your help. Just got a chance to check it out. The iPad and MacBook & iPhone are syncing to the same file path. The iMac is set as sync method to dropbox, but it says the Primary vault is not syncing at all. If I change the popup to Dropbox it says "Disabling sync. 1 Password will no longer sync Primary vault with the folder" and gives me a checkbox to delete data from the folder and at the bottom, Cancel or Disable Sync. Now what?

• learning curve
    learning curve
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars. You may be away, but you didn't answer my question about getting my iMac 1 Password app to connect to the same file path as my other devices. I don't want to fool around on my own and potentially make things worse. I hope you can answer me ASAP

• learning curve
    learning curve
    Community Member
    Options

I think I fixed it. When the "Disabling sync" box came up and said it would delete folder om iMac if I clicked Disable Sync" I thought, what the heck it isn't syncing now, so I clicked it, followed the instructions and now it seems to be working. Yay! Thanks for telling me about the path connection.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@learning curve great! I'm glad to hear you got things working on your own -- and sorry, yes, I was away for the weekend. Each 1Password app you use has its own internal store (SQLite datbase) of data, and the sync keychain is a separate thing, used for keeping the individual instances in sync. So it wasn't a huge risk to your data to do what you did - after all, you still had it in two other places, plus all your backups. Let us know if you have any further issues. :)

• learning curve
    learning curve
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Still not sure it really is working because some of my password are right on the iMac andstill wrong on the others but I'll let it take a few days to sort itself out and if it does'nt you'll have the pleasure of answerin more questions :-). Hope you had a nice weekend.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@learning curve Sounds good -- don't let it go too long if the data really is still out of sync. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.