Password not accepted on Windows app after account recovery.

Options

One of our users forgot her password so we performed a recovery.

After the recovery, she was able to log in to her 1Password account via the website, but was still unable to log in to the 1P app in Windows.

We performed another recovery. Nothing changed.

I uninstalled 1P from Windows and removed the settings folder from AppData\Local.

When I relaunched the 1P app, was presented with the user login screen. I auto-entered the data via the QR displayed on her account on the website; the account information, secret key, etc. auto-filled correctly.

But her password still did not work.

I had her type her password on a blank page in Notepad, then copy/paste it to the website login screen and copy/paste it to the app login screen. The website login worked. The app did not.

So it appears that the app is not syncing correctly with her account online.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• jharris
    jharris
    Community Member
    Options

I should add that this is happening to TWO users at our company, though I've only taken the aforementioned troubleshooting steps for one of them.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jharris,

Thank you for reaching out and using 1Password!

When you recover an account for someone, their Master Password and Secret Key change, so you will need to reset the local database for 1Password 7 for Windows in order to use the app with the account after recovery.

If you can sign in to their account in the browser on their PCs, please follow the steps in this guide to start over with 1Password 7 for Windows and sign in to their account anew. They should be all set after that, but please let me know how it goes.

We have plans to improve this process in the future, but I do not have anything to share at this point.

I will be looking forward to hearing back from you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• jharris
    jharris
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, that is what I've done. But even with a fresh login and bringing over the account settings from the QR scan, when the user enters her password the app doesn't accept it.

• MikeT
    edited August 2018
    Options

Hi @jharris,

Have they tried clicking on the blue button in step 2 to add the account details directly from 1Password.com site?

They may be using an outdated PDF file that they need to redownload from the website.

• jharris
    jharris
    Community Member
    Options

Yes - per my OP: When I relaunched the 1P app, was presented with the user login screen. I auto-entered the data via the QR displayed on her account on the website; the account information, secret key, etc. auto-filled correctly.

• MikeT
    edited August 2018
    Options

Hi @jharris,

I'm talking about the blue button, not the QR barcode, the blue button is not related to the QR code. There may be some encoding issue with the barcode that 1Password isn't reading correctly.

If you already did that and it still doesn't work; just one last check, did you confirm/approve their recovery? After they complete the recovery, you still have to finalize it.

If yes, please email us the diagnostics report from their PC after they already attempted to sign in. Please use this guide to generate the report and email it to us at support+windows@1Password.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• Matt10
    Matt10
    Community Member
    Options

I am having a very similar issue to that described by the original poster above. We changed the master password on my account but then had difficulties logging in to 1password. My account was eventually recovered and a new password was chosen. I am able to log into 1password via the website and into 1 Password X, but am not able to log into the 1Password windows app.

To attempt to resolve this matter, I have uninstalled the 1Password windows app. When I try to reinstall the app, it still does not accept my new password.

Do the instructions outlined above still apply to solve this matter or is there a different approach now? Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Matt10: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! You'll need to unlock the app using the "old" Master Password first, since that's what was used to encrypt the local data, and then sign in with your new account credentials; that will update it to use the new Master Password to unlock locally as well. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.