Problem with default password generator preferences

Options

Hello.

As you can see, i have set so that 1Password X will generate a random password that is 13 characters long, includes numbers and also symbols.

But then, on the Use Suggested Password, it just suggest something else that does not meet my requirements.

How can this be fixed?

1Password Version: 7.2.574
Extension Version: 1.9
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gmaister22: Suggested Passwords are always composed of 20 random alphanumeric characters, since this is both secure and compatible with most websites. If you want to generate a password using your own settings...well, that's what the Password Generator is for! In your screenshot, if you just click Fill, that will get you what you need. And the Password generator will remember your settings for next time you use it as well. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• gmaister22
    gmaister22
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Hello

You are right, the generator remembers by settings but, this way we wont be able to use suggested password which is a really nice feature.

I have tried to sign up last month on couple website and most of them accepted max of 15 characters and also required to use a Symbol. I used the suggested password, 1password saved up the website with the login details, then the website redirected me back because i did not meet the requirements for their password, then i had to update the password myself because 1password did not update it

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are right, the generator remembers by settings but, this way we wont be able to use suggested password which is a really nice feature.

@gmaister22: If the Suggested Password is accepted by the website (not limiting you to 16 characters or whatever), then you don't need to use the Password Generator at all. :)

I have tried to sign up last month on couple website and most of them accepted max of 15 characters and also required to use a Symbol.

Okay, I wrote the thing above as sort of a joke, not having seen this. But if that's the case that's really unfortunate. I'm not sure why they would limit you to using a weaker password. I don't see this as often as I used to, but I guess it's still common in some cases. :(

I used the suggested password, 1password saved up the website with the login details, then the website redirected me back because i did not meet the requirements for their password, then i had to update the password myself because 1password did not update it

I hear you. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. It's bad enough when a website places restrictions on your security, but not telling you about these upfront is even worse. I'm not sure what you mean by "i had to update the password myself because 1password did not update it" though. This isn't something 1Password X can do automatically; you'd need to select that from the inline menu:

But you can then click "Save New Login" to change it to "Update Saved Login" instead:

Cheers! :)

• Bellamy88
    Bellamy88
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty I also have to agree this needs to be changed. I have changed my password on a dozen websites and surprising a lot of websites only accept a maximum of 16 characters and they want alpha numeric and special character combniations.

I think a far better solution would be to allow us to customise the parameters of the password auto generator (within limits) so we can select no less than 15 characters (still perfectly secure) and we can select special characters as an optional requirement as some websites demand this.

The auto password generator is such a nice feature but I find myself hardly using it due to websites either asking for a special character or less than 16 characters.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Bellamy88: It's certainly something we can consider, but we haven't gotten other reports from people who are limited to so few characters regularly. We'll continue to evaluate all of this as time goes on. Nothing is set in stone. :)

This discussion has been closed.