Fill In Email Address?

Options

Hi,

I'm a recent Roboform refugee and there was one Roboform feature I liked that I can't find in 1Password. The Roboform identity item contains an email address, just like with 1Password. With Roboform when an email field was on the screen and I viewed the matching Roboform items the identity item was listed (along with any matching login items if there were any), and if I clicked on the identity item then Roboform would fill in the email address.

That was really useful when all I needed to do was enter my email address, but 1Password doesn't do the same thing. My identity item has my email address but 1Password doesn't list it, and I created email item but it isn't listed either.

Does 1Password do this but I'm doing something wrong, or is this feature missing?

If it's missing I suggest you add it.

Thanks,
Mike

1Password Version: 7.1.567
Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• MikeT
    edited August 2018
    Options

Hi @MikeA01730,

Thanks for writing in.

We do support that, it is supposed to be filled by your Identity item that has the email address listed, you've entered it in the default email address field, not a custom field, right?

I've just tried and it works for the registration form of this forum. One thing is that the upcoming 1Password 7.2 is going to have a lot of improvements related to Identity filling that you may want to try with the latest 1Password 7.2 betas.

A future update will have Identity and Credit Card items included with the Login items in the same list, so that you don't need to switch categories.

• MikeA01730
    MikeA01730
    Community Member
    Options

MikeT,

It does work. I was misunderstanding how the category choices (at the left of the list displayed from the extension) worked because Roboform works differently. I thought I always had All Items selected and just the matching ones would appear, so normally I didn't have to worry about selecting the right category. But I really had Logins selected, which displays just the matching Login items, so Identity items were excluded. I didn't notice that Login items worked differently then every other category choice.

I think I like the way Roboform works better. With Roboform I don't have to think about or select the right category: I just see the items that match irrespective of category they're in. If I understand 1Password when I select any category except Logins I see all the items, but with Logins I only see the matching ones. That makes the Login category a special case, which from a UI point of view is undesirable.

If 1Password had a All Matching category (which displayed all matching items in all categories) then I could leave that checked all the time and I'd see both the Identity and the Login items when appropriate. That would make it easier for users because they don't have select the correct category, consistent with Roboform for us folk who move over, and keep the current All Items category for when that behavior is needed. Also it wouldn't confuse current users and it would be self-explanatory. It wouldn't make the UI consistent (changing the choice name Logins to Matching Logins would help with that) but it would I think save a mouse click and generally provide an easier to use UI.

Anyway, now I know how it works and it does appear to work as designed.

Mike

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @MikeA01730,

That's what we're working toward as we continue to make improvements; on the macOS, this is what we're doing:

We plan to adopt that Suggested Items on Windows.

You may also want to look at 1Password X extension; https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

• MikeA01730
    MikeA01730
    Community Member
    Options

MikeT,

Great! The Mac version looks perfect. I'm glad to see that you're improving the UI and not just adding features. The UI is already (to me) very slick, and it makes the Roboform UI look 20 years old. I'm so happy I moved to 1Password.

Mike

• MikeT
    Options

I'm glad to hear that and we can't wait to show you the planned design changes, it'll be awesome.

This discussion has been closed.