Master password works on computer but not on 1password site, wrong master password

Options
crimsonmedia
crimsonmedia
Community Member

I have a 1password family account. I can logon to the desktop app and android apps. I can not log on to 1password.com. I enter the information but am told it is a bad master password. If the master password opens the app why is it not working on the web site?
Thx
James

1Password Version: 7.07
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: 1password and dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:master password

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi James ( @crimsonmedia ),

Can you please check if you have a Primary vault? In 1Password for Mac you can check this in 1Password > Preferences > Vaults or by using the vault switcher in the upper left hand corner of the main 1Password window. If you do have a Primary vault then 1Password unlocks using the Master Password of that vault, which may be (and likely is) different from your 1Password.com account password. For this reason we recommend not having a Primary vault, unless necessary.

If you look in your Personal vault you may find a login item saved for 1Password.com with your 1Password.com account password saved in it. Do you see that?

Ben

• crimsonmedia
    crimsonmedia
    Community Member
    Options

Hello Ben,
    I do have a default vault, and there is a password in my personal vault... It works! Thanks, so It looks like I need to merge the vaults. Is that right?

Thanks
    James

• Ben
    Options

@crimsonmedia

That is good news. As I mentioned we usually recommend deleting the Primary vault, which will then cause 1Password to unlock using your 1Password.com account password. Is there any data in the Primary vault that doesn’t exist elsewhere? If so please copy it to a vault that is part of your account. Once completed please delete the Primary vault:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

I hope that helps!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.