Deleting/renaming my Personal vault? [Not possible, only secondary vaults can be deleted]

slprescott
slprescott
Community Member
edited August 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

On 1Password.com, is there a way to delete my Personal vault?

Earlier I searched for a way to rename Personal to "Steve", but I saw that renaming isn't available. As a workaround, I created a new vault called "Steve" and moved all the records from Personal to Steve. That worked, but now I'd like to delete Personal since it's obsolete (for my use)... i.e., house cleaning. In your portal I see the ability to delete secondary vaults, but when I'm in Personal the "Delete" option isn't available.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @slprescott,

No, there isn't, Personal is a special vault that is designed for your private use, you can't delete it because it belongs to you specifically.

• slprescott
    slprescott
    Community Member

OK thanks.

Is there any harm in me leaving Personal empty and using a custom vault, "Steve", as the place to hold my personal records?

The reason is that I have created separate vaults for my wife and daughter ("Betsy", "Shannon"), so having a vault called "Steve" removes any ambiguity about whose vault it is.

• MikeT
    edited August 2018

Hi @slprescott,

I might be misunderstanding but your family cannot see your personal vault, no one can. Your wife and daughter have their own personal vaults that you cannot see either. If you want to share Steve with your wife/daughter and not have anything of your own, there is no harm.

The only vault that all family members can see by default is the Shared vault that you can delete or you can create additional vaults and manage who can see it.

I'd suggest giving our article on this a read: https://support.1password.com/explore/families/ (scroll down to Choose what you share and learn more below like Guests and so on).

• slprescott
    slprescott
    Community Member

Thanks, Mike.

My wife and daughter don't (yet) use 1Password. They often use me as the in-house Tech Support, which means I need to know their ID and Password for common services where I too have an account: Gmail, iTunes, Amazon, etc. My reason for having a separate vault for each of them is not for sharing but rather to segregate their accounts from my own accounts for the same services. So when my wife asks for help with iTunes, I can open the "Betsy" vault, go to the "iTunes" login records, and start helping.

• I can see where renaming Personal would help in that case. We'll see what we can do in the future.

• rafaelcds
    rafaelcds
    Community Member

Please allow renaming Personal vault... It's so sad that a software assumption make so many people sad...

• Thanks for the feedback, @rafaelcds! It's definitely something we're considering and I'll be sure to pass your feedback along to the team. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.