Changing Sync from "None" to "Dropbox" in 1P6

drlevbk
drlevbk
Community Member

Recently, I installed 1P6 on my new Mac laptop after using 1P3 since 2011 on older iMac and MacbookAir. I also transferred up to date 1Password.agilekeychain file from older Mac to the new Mac and followed suggested by sequence to direct 1P6 during installation to the transferred 1Password.agilekeychain file which I placed in a separate folder under "home" folder outside iCloud. At the same time, I also selected "None" for Sync under 1P6 Preferences. Everything went well: there was no data loss and I have complete access to all my old logins in 1P6.

Now, after installing Dropbox on the new Mac from my existing Dropbox account, I changed Sync under 1P6 Preferences from "None' to "Dropbox". After I directed 1P6 to Dropbox folder it created a new data file: Dropbox > Apps > 1Password > 1Password.opvault and under Sync in 1P6 Preferences shows above pathway for the location of the 1Password.opvault file and the time since "last sync". Again, everything went well and as expected based on your earlier instructions.

I have a few questions about the new and old data files.
1. I assume that my old and still up to date 1Password.agilekeychain file is redundant now and may be deleted, because 1P6 should use the new 1Password.opvault file as the data file for my Primary Vault (that is the only vault I have in 1P6). Is it correct?

1. Is there a way to verify in Preferences or otherwise that my 1P6 actually uses the new 1Password.opvault file as the data file. I would like to verify it independently from just seeing the pathway to the location of 1Password.opvault file under Sync in Preferences before actually deleting my old 1Password.agilekeychain file. In other words, if after opening 1P6 I have a question about the location of the current data file, how do I find it independently of the Sync info about the data file being synced.

2. What would happened if I decide in future to change again the Sync from "Dropbox" to "None"? Would 1P6 start looking for my old 1Password.agilekeychain file or will it offer me an option to move 1Password.opvault file from Dropbox folder to some other folder of my choosing?

3. If I decide to change in future Sync from Dropbox to iCloud, what would happened to 1Password.opvault file in the Dropbox folder? Will it be moved by 1P6 to a new default folder location?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@drlevbk - let's take these in order:

1. Yes. If all your devices running 1Password are now syncing correctly using the new OPVault format keychain, you can (and probably should, to avoid confusion) remove the older Agile Keychain(s). There's no need for them any longer.
    2. That's not quite the right question to ask. 1Password 6 for Mac does not "use the new 1Password.opvault file as the data file." The actual data file used by 1Password is located at ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Data/OnePassword.sqlite (if you have the version of 1Password 6 for Mac from our website, or ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data/OnePassword.sqlite if you have the Mac App Store version. The OPVault file you use is simply the sync keychain -- this is a difference between 1Password 3 for Mac (where the Agile Keychain actually WAS the data file (no internal SQLite database), and 1Password 6 for Mac, in which we have a more robust system. You could delete even the OPVault, and the only thing that would happen is that sync would be broken and need to be re-set up by creating a new OPVault. But the internal data used by 1Password 6 for Mac does not depend on the sync keychain any longer. To answer your other question, we don't provide any alternate method of locating the sync keychain besides what is in Preferences > Sync because there isn't any need for such a thing. At least, none that I can see -- if you don't trust that the path value you see there is accurate, why would you trust a secondary display of it?
    3. Nothing. You would stop syncing. If you subsequently set it back to "Dropbox," you'd go through the same process you did to set it up: 1Password would ask you for the location of your sync keychain, and if you select the existing OPVault, it will use that. If you choose a different location on your hard drive/Dropbox folder intentionally, then 1Password would write out a NEW keychain and begin syncing with that instead of your previous one.
    4. Nothing, unless you check the option when disabling sync to remove the data from Dropbox, in which case the OPVault would be deleted. If you don't check that box, then the OPVault will remain where you created it, frozen in time (as it's no longer being synced with 1Password).

Hope that helps!

This discussion has been closed.