Cannot remove form details fields

When I edit an item, there's no way to remove a field from the form details. This is a pain since 1Password saved the CAPTCHA value for a site and keeps filling it up (wrongly of course).

1Password Version: 7.1.567
Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited August 2018

Hi @ivanyv,

Thanks for writing in.

You can clear the content of that field, so that 1Password won't fill anything in but it is not yet possible to modify your web form details, it is not supposed to be user-editable in the first place and we may get rid of this completely in a future update.

We do plan to update our extension to avoid saving any CAPTCHA values.

If we change our mind and keeping web form details, we'll add full support for modifying it in a future update.

• ivanyv
    ivanyv
    Community Member

Actually, in this particular case the field is empty already, the issue is that I have auto-submit enabled, and 1Password clears the CAPTCHA befor submit.

• ivanyv
    ivanyv
    Community Member

Though I just discovered I can disable auto-submit for that particular site, so it kinda works that way.

• Yes, you'll need to disable auto-submit for any Login items that uses CAPTCHA. Removing the CATPCHA field won't help as 1Password will still submit without it.

• jimgarrison
    jimgarrison
    Community Member

So this is a year old.... still can't delete useless web form details? When do you plan to address this?

• To be clear, @jimgarrison, the web form details aren't useless. The extension uses these details to help it properly fill the form. They're not something we as users need to see most of the time so they're hidden by default, but there are times they're helpful in troubleshooting filling issues so even the option to reveal them has its use. We are aiming to reduce reliance on web form details in the future, as MikeT mentioned, but until that time comes where they genuinely are useless, they're here to stay.

• thebeardedllama
    thebeardedllama
    Community Member

This is still an issue in 2020. It used to be possible to remove this in older versions of 1P, which I did as a lot of the fields saved were utterly useless and only caused issues in most sites if re-submitted.
    So this feature was regressed at some point. Definitely not improved.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2020

Hey @thebeardedllama!

In response to previous comments in this thread, I'm with Kate. The web form details are far from useless. I'd wager that a majority (or close to it) of your items wouldn't fill correctly if we nixed web form details. Web form details are extremely important for any website that doesn't clearly note which field is which solely based on the code (by using autocomplete types, obvious htmlNames/htmlIds, etc.). The majority of web developers don't do that from what I've experienced, so that's why web form details are currently a crucial component when it comes to filling with 1Password.

Please do let me know if you're having trouble filling on a specific website. I'd love to get it reported to our developers since I'd prefer us to fix the root issue rather than add the ability to remove web form details. That said, I have run into a couple websites that have saved more information than necessary, like on registration forms, for example. Again, it'll be super helpful to have an example here rather than looking at it as whole. If you have any website URLs you can share with me where you're having trouble filling due to extra data in web form details, I'd be more than happy to take a look.

• thebeardedllama
    thebeardedllama
    Community Member

Hey Kaitlyn, useful or not, you need to give us back the ability to CRUD them as we did before.
    I have been using 1P for years, a lot of years.
    Saving every single field from a registration form (as an example) has only ever caused me problems. I used to be able to fix this myself by removing the additional junk fields, which are useless. I am not able to do that anymore.
    As I said, this is a regression, not an improvement. 2 years after the OP and still no update on status.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@thebeardedllama:

Saving every single field from a registration form (as an example) has only ever caused me problems.

As kaitlyn asked in her post above yours, can you please give us some examples so we can take a look at the specific websites?

• thebeardedllama
    thebeardedllama
    Community Member

latest example was goldenbeards.com

I see the actual point of the OP and mine is still being ignored. We used to be able to edit these and now we can't.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@thebeardedllama:

Thank you for sharing the website! Your feedback has been received, but since at the moment there is no way to manually remove fields from that section, we can only try addressing specific websites, so you don't have to edit anything manually in the first place.

• thebeardedllama
    thebeardedllama
    Community Member

Why was that feature taken away in the first place? I don't want to waste time "reporting" things every time this happens.
    Why can we not just have that back please?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2020

@thebeardedllama:

1Password 7 was built from the beginning after 1Password 4, so I think choices were made based on a priority of features that we wanted to make available in the new app. This is one of those features that I think did not make the list back then. In fact, looking at this discussion alone, it looks like there is not much interest in having the feature back (only two of you commented in this discussion since the original post in 2018).

As my colleague MikeT wrote back in 2018:

it is not supposed to be user-editable in the first place and we may get rid of this completely in a future update.

If we change our mind and keeping web form details, we'll add full support for modifying it in a future update.

I am not saying that it's impossible for us to change our minds in the future, but it would also not be fair to give you false hopes because at the moments I am not aware of any plans to change this.

This discussion has been closed.