Does being signed into Chrome automatically enable Google to sign into your Gmail w/o PW?

shodo
shodo
Community Member
edited August 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I'm not really sure I understand this but... I closed my Chrome browser and I was away from the computer for 1.5 hours. I started Chrome clicked my Gmail shortcut on my google home page (new tab), my email was already pre-populated by Google, so I clicked in and I was signed in - no password required.

I clicked my 1password icon in the top right in the browser and I was not signed into 1password. The only thing I can think of is that I was signed into Chrome. I checked my Chrome Password Manager and gmail is not stored, I have everything turned off for remembering passwords.

I know I can circumvent this by locking my computer, but I have a false sense of security here.

Anyone understand how this happened? I signed out/in of Chrome, and tested this over, following my hunch - but I was prompted for a password upon testing my theory. Possibly because I signed out/in to Chrome, resetting the save from before?

1Password Version: 7.1.567
Extension Version: 1.9.0
OS Version: Win 10 Pro - 17134.167
Sync Type: 1password subscription

Comments

• shodo
    shodo
    Community Member

I closed Chrome while signed into Chrome and Gmail. Opened Chrome and was able to get into Gmail without entering password. So the answer is 'Yes' but I do wonder if there is a timeout, or some setting with options regarding this in Chrome?

• shodo
    shodo
    Community Member

Did some more searching and I think the only way around this is 2-Step Verification. I'll stop answering myself now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@shodo: Using two-factor authentication is a good idea in general. But to answer your question, yes, if you're signed into a Google account in your Chrome profile ("Person"), you won't need to enter your login credentials when going to Gmail or other Google services; you're already authenticated.

This discussion has been closed.