Request to make Windows Hello available at first launch [Under consideration]

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member
edited August 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hello

I was wondering if you could add an option to automatically use windows hello when unlocking. Currently you have to press the enter key or click the windows hello icon i would love to press my autofill hotkey then use my finger print sensor to unlock, much quicker.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @wasgij6,

Thanks for the request.

We would love to make Windows Hello available at the first launch but that will require us to store a decryption key for your 1Password data on your computer's drive or TPM that will be left to Windows and your security system to protect your 1Password data. We want to do more research before we consider this but it will be a while.

For now, unlocking with your master password at the first launch allows us to quickly generate a one-time memory key that Windows Hello will use to unlock 1Password in successive attempts. That key is automatically reset when 1Password is terminated or you reboot the computer. This is a safer approach for us at this point but if we do find that we can store it safely with the computer's TPM chip, we'll do that.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Thats not quite what i meant. Currently after entering your master password on first launch, if i try to fill a password using ctrl + \ i have to manually click the windows hello button to activate my finger print scanner. What im suggesting is an option to set windows hello as the default unlock method (after the first launch of course) to unlock my vault.

Current flow:
    1. First unlock
    2. Try to fill password using hotkey
    3. 1Password shows a popup to enter your master password
    4. Now you have to either press enter or click the windows hello icon

I want to be able to press the hotkey (ctrl + ) then the windows hello dialogue shows for my fingerprint.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wasgij6: Thanks for clarifying. Indeed, that's what I was thinking when I read your comments, as that's something I'd like as well. Unfortunately it isn't feasible at this time due to the way that Windows Hello APIs work (which is similar to Touch ID on the Mac, though both are different than Touch ID and Face ID on iOS in this regard). We'll see if there's something we can do to streamline it in the future though. Thanks for the feedback!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

Great thank you for the feedback. Hopefully its something that can be sorted out eventually

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm sure it will. Probably not as high priority for Microsoft as bug fixes and more mainstream features, but I'm sure they want to make the Windows Hello experience smoother as well. :)

• Tarucan
    Tarucan
    Community Member
    Options

Ok the title explain already everything.
    I think you should add into settings / security the option :
    ask master password [never, first acces, always]
    when a biometric fingerprint is setted up, like windows hello.
    It's annoying 1password keep asking master pwd everytime i turn on my pc.
    For what i bought my fingerprint reader?!

1Password Version: 7.2.581
    Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
    OS Version: win 10.0.17763 Build 17763
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:windows fingerprint without master password

• nicolod
    nicolod
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Taruca, here you can find an answer for your request.

• Hey, @Tarucan! @nicolod is correct, so I've gone ahead and merged your discussion with this earlier request. As MikeT mentions here, this is something that requires some more research before we're comfortable implementing it so it may take a while, but it certainly something we're considering. That said, I presume you purchased your fingerprint reader to unlock your PC as well, so it's still getting some work (and hopefully making unlocking 1Password easier as well after the first go). :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Tarucan: We try to never say "never"...but "Never" is probably never going to happen. The Master Password is needed to decrypt the data, and from experience we know that 1) it's going to be needed at some point anyway (e.g. new device), 2) people forget their Master Passwords if the "never" have to enter them, and 3) everyone loses when that happens. Hopefully we'll be able to safely offer more flexibility with regard to other options in the future though.

• Tarucan
    Tarucan
    Community Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

Well should not be your problem if people forgot them own important password, and master pwd for 1password it's very important!
    If you block the development of a product because of stupid people, you are making a mistake.

Btw on mobile already work in this way, no master pwd ever ask even if you turn it off and on the next day.
    I would suggest you this: use fingerprint recognizon plugin by yourself, not using Hello if that gives you all this problems.
    You can use the most common fingerprint sdk and voila' [inappropriate language removed by 1Password staff] windows hello and all his bugs, like i did for my own software, in less than 1 hour yesterday after i bought my new biometrics. it comes with sdk and i insert into my existing software togheter with login popup

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2018
    Options

Well should not be your problem if people forgot them own important password, and master pwd for 1password it's very important!

I disagree in principle, and also in practice the problems 1Password users have are our problems.

If you block the development of a product because of stupid people, you are making a mistake.

In my estimation, not caring about our customers, and calling strangers stupid, would be a mistake.

Btw on mobile already work in this way, no master pwd ever ask even if you turn it off and on the next day.

Nope. You'll find out the hard way that updates will result in the Master Password being required, when biometrics are disabled.

I would suggest you this: use fingerprint recognizon plugin by yourself, not using Hello if that gives you all this problems.

That isn't possible. Windows Hello determines which authentication methods are available. We don't have control over that.

You can use the most common fingerprint sdk and voila' windows hello and all his bugs, like i did for my own software, in less than 1 hour yesterday after i bought my new biometrics. it comes with sdk and i insert into my existing software togheter with login popup

For us, security matters. We're not just going to hack some mess together with 3rd party software. Appreciate that the bar is much lower for you when you're just making stuff for your own personal use. We have millions of customers we have to consider.

This discussion has been closed.