When are you going to support sock5 proxy? [Planned]

vigilliann
vigilliann
Community Member
edited August 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

hi,

I know what support team told me already, you have only 2-3 people a year using sock5 proxy. And it would mean that you will need to allocate people to develop this feature etc etc etc.
Honestly, it's not good arguments. I could easily counter this argument with: Before the day that someone came up with the idea to use password manager, people didn't know they had a need for that. And still infosec pros are complaining about the fact that people continue to think that.
Sock5 is the ideal partner of split tunneling vpn. I know that a lot of people doesn't know what that is and maybe people on the team too.
Full vpn connection shouldn't be the norm because you don't want to diminish your firber optic connection for example (because vpn can't achieve those bandwith so you will get a fraction of it) and you don't want to be cut out from the rest of your LAN, your connected TV, apple TV, media server, phone, etc etc.
So split tunneling is what people should use at least at home to have a secure browsing environment + sock5 proxy.
So I'm asking the team when are you going to be proactive about it and not waiting on people adopting this behaviour?
µYou can easily set up test environment with the free trial period of mullvad vpn.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:when are you going to support sock5 proxy?

Comments

• Hi @vigilliann,

Thanks for writing in.

Your counter-argument assumes that we don't know that there are needs for it. We do understand why people want SOCKS5 support and that's not the issue. We do not have unlimited resources and people to work on everything at the same time. We have to prioritize based on needs and requests we get. Sometimes, we can't even do popular requests because it involves larger changes that can't be done quickly.

We cannot divert resources on a feature that has only been requested 5 times in the last few years where in the past few months, we've received dozens of bug reports with VPN clients like Nord / Proton VPN, which we've just fixed in today's 1Password 7.2 update.

We'd love to add support for SOCKS5 and it is on our list. We also want to redo our network stack to make it easier to add stuff like SOCKS5, proxy authentication via MS NTLM, and more. There is no timeframe on when this is coming.

• vigilliann
    vigilliann
    Community Member

okey how much man/day would it to actually implement that? did you think about open a github repo for that part only for example?

• MikeT
    edited August 2018

Hi @vigilliann,

It could be a day or a week, we won't know until we start working on it. That's presuming our current network stack can accommodate it without regressions.

did you think about open a github repo for that part only for example?

We had some thoughts about "open" source for some of our files but at the moment, we do not plan to open up anything to our internal development processes.

This discussion has been closed.