Login Not Filling In After 1Password 7.2 update [Whitelist `1Password.brain.exe` file in AV]

Options
lorenn
lorenn
Community Member
edited August 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hello:

Beginning this AM 1Password no longer auto fills in login credentials on websites. Using Windows 10. Not working on either Firefox nor Chrome. What could the problem be? Just using 1 Password as a "lookup" tool in the meantime.

Thank you!
Loren

1Password Version: 7.2.576
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @lorenn,

Thanks for writing in. There shouldn't be any reasons for it to stop working out of nowhere.

Did you try restarting the browser? What happens when you click on 1Password icon, does it show 1Password mini?

• ryanmcv
    ryanmcv
    Community Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

I came here to report the same exact problem. Updated to 7.2.576 this morning and now 1Password no longer auto-fills using either Chrome or Firefox. It also does not prompt to save/update new credentials. Running Windows 7.

I've restarted my computer, cleared cache/history in both Chrome and Firefox, and re-installed the browser extensions. Still not working. When I click the 1Password icon in both Chrome and Firefox, 1Password mini appears. But clicking on a saved credential does NOT fill the log-in fields on ANY website that I've tried today.

Is there a way to roll back to the previous version? This is very frustrating and has disrupted my workflow today.

Edit: I rolled back to 7.1.567 and everything is working fine again. You guys might want to pull the 7.2 update until you can fix this.

• lorenn
    lorenn
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT:

Yes restarted. Made no difference. Have same problem on another computer. Yes, using 1Password mini as I always have done. When I click on the icon, 1Password mini comes up. When I click on the login item nothing happens. I have been clicking to Edit so I can see the login credentials and using manually.

@ryanmcv: Can you give me the steps you took to roll back to 7.1.567?

Thank you,
    Loren

• ryanmcv
    ryanmcv
    Community Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

@lorenn: Go to the Release Notes page and click "download" next to 7.1.567. You should be able to install the old version (7.1) on top of the new version (7.2). If you get any errors, do a full uninstall of 7.2 and then re-install 7.1.

After rolling back, just be sure to ignore any prompts to update to 7.2.

• lorenn
    lorenn
    Community Member
    Options

WooWho! Mahalo @ryanmcv!

That worked for me as well. All functions restored - auto fill and login working again.

There is a glitch in the 7.2.576 update. Please alert us when you've got that fixed?

Thank you,
    Loren

• ryanmcv
    ryanmcv
    Community Member
    Options

Glad it worked for you, @lorenn!

What's strange is that my home computer (Windows 10) automatically updated to 7.2.576 and it seems to be working fine. My work computer (Windows 7, described above) is the one having the issue. The immediate differences that come to mind on my work computer are:

• Older version of Windows (obviously)
    • I don't have admin rights
    • It's running Symantec Endpoint Protection

My work computer is running the same versions of Chrome and Firefox as my home computer (and using the same version of the 1Password browser extension). 1Password 7 has performed flawlessly on my work computer up until 7.2.576, so there's definitely something going on with this new version.

Any thoughts, @MikeT?

• lorenn
    lorenn
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ryanmcv:

My computers are all running Win10. iPassword was set to auto update which seems to have been sometime early today. I only have the browser extension installed on Chrome. I only did that so I could use on a Chromebook. When I thought to install the extension on Firefox earlier in hopes of finding a solution I was getting a connection error. I've just been using the app I guess. My internet was fine and is very fast.

I am wondering now if this has something to do with the iPassword cloud? I just went to another office computer, 1Password auto-updated already, there was some delay when I tied to use it to login to a website. Eventually it worked. Perhaps 1Password was having performance issue today?

-ln

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

Thanks for reporting this. We'll need to get your diagnostics reports to see what's going on, even if you're using 7.1 now, it should have some logs from 7.2 to help us. This is definitely not happening on any of our computers and none of our thousands of beta testers reported any major issues with the extension in the last several weeks of 1Password 7.2 betas.

Please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@1Password.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

Rolling back to 1Password 7.1 is not recommended as there is a database schema upgrade in 1Password 7.2, you may experience some oddities in 1Password 7.1 as you keep using it. I suspect you'll be okay but we still need your help figuring out the problem with 1Password 7.2

I notice a lot of you are using Windows 7, please make sure all Windows and .NET updates are installed. Some .NET updates are offered in the optional updates section, please check for updates there.

Also, are any of you using Windows 7 64-bit or just 32-bit?

@lorenn,

When I thought to install the extension on Firefox earlier in hopes of finding a solution I was getting a connection error.

That could be your anti-malware solution interfering with it, we've seen that all the time with certain AVs. You can work around it here: https://support.1password.com/firefox-connection-failure/

I am wondering now if this has something to do with the iPassword cloud? I just went to another office computer, 1Password auto-updated already, there was some delay when I tied to use it to login to a website. Eventually it worked.

There are two things to consider;

1. There is a one-time database migration that happens after updating to 7.2, it should only take a second or less and after that, it'll be back to normal.
    2. There is a known performance issue where the interface or 1Password mini may be delayed because of a background sync. 1Password starts its sync 10 seconds in after every unlock, so if you do it before the ten seconds, it works okay but if you do it at that time, you'd see no actions until the sync is done.
  • MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

Just out of curiosity, can you guys go to the Control Panel > Uninstall a program on your PC, scroll through the entire list, do you only see one instance of 1Password installed? If yes, open Windows File Explorer, go to C:\Program Files (x86), do you see 1Password 4 folder? If yes, go into it and select the unins000.exe to uninstall 1Password 4 and reboot your computer.

There was a beta tester that reported a 0-byte extra copy that was installed on his PC and when he uninstalled it, 1Password started working fine. We weren't able to figure out why that happened, only that it can happen with certain AVs that interfered with the installation process.

• ryanmcv
    ryanmcv
    Community Member
    Options

I just sent my diagnostic report to the email address above. Scrolling through the logs for August 13 (when I installed 7.2), I see the following two errors quite frequently:

• chrome: Brain has no plan.
    • chrome: no response from brain

Those errors seem to pertain to every time I attempted to auto-fill a log-in field using the Chrome extension. But I'll let you guys figure it out.

I am running Windows 7 64-bit. I do see an update for .NET Framework 4.7.2 under optional Windows Updates, but I am unable to install it since this is a work computer and I do not have admin rights. Looking at the list of applications in Control Panel > Uninstall a Program, it looks like I'm currently running .NET Framework 4.6.1. If that's the issue, I can contact my IT department and have them install the update.

Also looking at Control Panel > Uninstall a Program, I only see one instance of 1Password installed (currently 7.1.567). There is no 1Password 4 folder in C:\Program Files (x86).

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @ryanmcv,

Thanks for sending in the email, we got it and will reply there.

chrome: Brain has no plan.
        chrome: no response from brain

That is the problem, 1Password's Brain handles the filling/saving for the 1Password extension. The question is why it isn't working on your PC.

We're investigating the report for more hints and will reply to your email with some things we need to try.

• eventz
    eventz
    Community Member
    Options

Hey guys,

I found this thread while trying to figure out the same thing.
    I have unfortunately the exact same symptoms described by OP. Immediately after the last update to 7.2 auto filling doesn't work anymore.

I didn't revert back yet to 7.1 and I see mr MikeT advises against.
    If anyone finds a fix to this I would very much appreciate if you could post it here.

(I'm on Win 10 x64, Firefox 61.0.2)

Thank you very much

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @eventz,

We need diagnostics report, we're not getting much, only one report so far. The more data we get, the more we can try to narrow this down.

Please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@1Password.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• bradster62
    bradster62
    Community Member
    Options

I have submitted a diagnostic report. I have the stuck autofill that appeared after my update to 7.2.576
    This occurs on Windows 10/FireFox (see above diagnostic report) and on another PC running Windows 10 1803 with FireFox and Edge.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @bradster62,

I'm not seeing the email yet but I'm checking with your forum's email address, is that up to date?

If you got an auto-reply from our BitBot, please tell me the support ID # from the email, so we can look for it.

• piano08man
    piano08man
    Community Member
    Options

I just sent a diagnostic report for my work machine. This is happening on every windows 10 installation I have. It's not isolated to one machine, FYI. I'm using 1Password 7 standalone, not the subscription on Mac and PC - Mac has no problems, just windows. I can't speak to other OS versions, as I'm running the latest production version of windows 10 on both PCs. I have noticed that it just takes anywhere from 15-30 seconds to figure it out. If I click into the username field (any website) and then click the 1password extension again, that usually makes it fill in the login... eventually. It just takes a while. This usually happens only after unlocking. As long as it's unlocked - the next fill-in happens normally. I added this to my ticket as well, but I thought it could be helpful in the thread here too.

• eventz
    eventz
    Community Member
    Options

Hey again,

Thank you @MikeT for the reply.
    Fortunately, I managed to fix it.
    I uninstalled both the main 1password app and the Firefox extension. I then downloaded the most recent version from your website, installed it, did the same for the extension and now it works without any problems, I didn't even reboot or anything else.

Hope it helps anyone with the same issue

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

@piano08man,

Is it just super slow to fill or never filling? We are aware of a separate threading/performance issue on certain setups where if you unlock 1Password, it'd start a sync and cause the UI to be delayed by a few minutes, this impact 1Password mini too.

If you unlock 1Password, wait 1-2 minutes, and then ask 1Password to fill, does it seem to be more responsive?

@eventz, we'd still love to see the diagnostics report, it may give us more information to track this down.

• eventz
    eventz
    Community Member
    Options

I just sent the email with the report @MikeT
    Hope it helps

• MikeT
    Options

It will, thank you!

• MikeT
    Options

One more thing, please check that you have the latest 1Password extension installed for your browser, it should be at 1Password 4.7.2: https://support.1password.com/update-extension/

• eventz
    eventz
    Community Member
    Options

yup, I have the latest version installed

• ryanmcv
    ryanmcv
    Community Member
    Options

Quick update:

The security software installed by my IT department (Symantec Endpoint Protection) appears to be blocking access to a new file introduced in the 7.2 update: 1password.brain.exe located in \AppData\Local\1password\app\7.

I'm having my IT department whitelist the file and will report back if that solves the problem.

• MikeT
    Options

Yep, 1Password.brain.exe is brand new in 1Password 7.2, please check your AVs to whitelist it if you didn't exclude 1Password's app folder.

• piano08man
    piano08man
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT answers to your questions - it does seem to be a delay - but not as long as what you're mentioning. I'm seeing maybe 30 seconds after the initial unlock before it behaves properly. It eventually does fill for me. After the first request fills, subsequent requests appear to fill normally. I believe I am on the latest version of the extension - 4.7.2.90 - and the latest version of 1Password 7 - 7.2.576.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @piano08man,

In that case, it is not related to the issue being discussed here. That's a known threading issue where the background sync is blocking the UI. It's being worked on for the upcoming 7.3 update.

• piano08man
    piano08man
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT got it. Thanks for the info.

• MikeT
    Options

You're welcome. Hopefully, we'll get 7.3 out soon for you.

• bradster62
    bradster62
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT Here is my ref for the diagnostic report. I sent the report via another email address.
    [#RKS-45293-677] Diagnostic report for 7.2.576

I do find the performance is better after the system has unlocked. The hesitation seems to disappear after my initial autofill completes.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @bradster62,

In that case, it is not related to the original issue here. That's a known issue with 1Password 7.2 where after unlocking 1Password, it does a sync and it would block the UI from proceeding until the sync is done. That's why filling won't work until it is done.

This will be improved in the upcoming 1Password 7.3 update.

This discussion has been closed.