Please help - PC - Mac - Backup Exchange

UanPassw0rd
UanPassw0rd
Community Member

Hello,

Can someone explain to me how can I open my backup files from 1Password for Windows to 1Password to Mac? I have a .ZIP backup file generated by 1Password (Windows) but I cannot use it on my Mac.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• UanPassw0rd
    UanPassw0rd
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

Can anyone please help me?? I have no access to any of my password. All I have is a backup file from 1Password 7 for Windows that "should" have all my passwords in it but I cannot use it???? @eltel

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@UanPassw0rd - sorry for the trouble you're experiencing just now. Unfortunately, without a little more information, it's going to be difficult to assist. Can you tell me what version of 1Password for Windows created this file, and what the specific file name (or at least file type) is? I'll also need the version of 1Password for Mac you're trying to import into, as well as any other information that might be helpful, such as: do you still have access to the PC that created the data? Is 1Password for Windows still available/running on that device? Were/are you using a sync service, and if so which one? Over how many devices/what specific kinds?

• UanPassw0rd
    UanPassw0rd
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

Hello @eltel @Lars Yes of course. The latest 1Password 7 for Windows created the backup file in .zip. Its name is the date that it was created 2018-08-13 and in it there is a single folder called: "default". In that folder there are a few .attachment files and many band.js files and one profile.js file. I do not know how to use all of those to get my passwords back?

I am trying to import into 1Password 7 for Mac (7.0.7). However I have another Windows machine with 1Password 7. If I have to I can import there as well. Unfortunately I do not have access to that PC (I do but the Windows is reinstalled) - So no 1Password is not running on it.

I am not using sync service. I am using 1Password 7 with local vaults.

I do not have this data anywhere else.

• UanPassw0rd
    UanPassw0rd
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

Hello @MrC I have a .txt file generated by 1Password 7. Is there any way I can convert it into something usable so I can get my passwords?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@UanPassw0rd ,

Which platform is this export from?

The text file exported by 1Password 7 on Windows is either a newline-separated, or a comma-separated values file, and can be read with any text editor or spreadsheet program.

What was your aim in doing the export?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@UanPassw0rd - can I ask what you're trying to accomplish here? Is this a one-time transfer of data, or are you attempting to set up some sort of unsupported sync that you'll perform manually on occasion?

• UanPassw0rd
    UanPassw0rd
    Community Member

I am just trying to get to my data. Basically I had to reinstall windows and I thought that if I take my backup file with all of my passwords I will be able to import it later. That's all I am trying to do. I now have both a Windows 1Password version and Mac version. If you can please tell me any way for me to get back to my passwords on any of the platforms? I did not see an export option before reinstalling Windows so I thought the backup file will work.

• UanPassw0rd
    UanPassw0rd
    Community Member

Hello @MrC Basically I had to reinstall Windows. My aim was to be able to import my passwords back after the new one is installed. I took both a backup file that 1Password 7 has created and I exported all passwords as txt just in case. Now, however, I am learning that this was not the proper way to do it (I still do not know the proper one). All I am trying to do now is either use the 2018-08-13.zip file (it has a folder in it called: "default". In that folder there are a few .attachment files and many band.js files and one profile.js file.) or the txt file to get back my passwords?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited August 2018

@UanPassw0rd ,

Since you have the backup file, let's see if the Agilebits folks can suggest how to restore from it. I've split your conversation and moved it to the Windows forum so that someone from Agilebits can give you sound advice.

Using the text file would not be the best way, and although there is a csv converter available in the converter suite , it would be somewhat lossy or sub-optimal in terms of one to one fidelity with your original data (it was not designed to perfectly accommodate a raw 1Password CSV export).

• UanPassw0rd
    UanPassw0rd
    Community Member

Thank you for the suggestion @MrC I am also talking with @Lars about this but I still do not know what to do.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Lars - this thread is related. The OP and I were crossing paths trying to address the issue:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/94555/how-do-i-import-my-backup-file

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018

@UanPassw0rd: Can you point me in the right direction? I'll be happy to help, but without context it's difficult, and you probably don't want to have to repeat yourself.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited August 2018

@brenty

See this related thread.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/94542/please-help-pc-mac-backup-exchange#latest

OP wants to restore a 1P7 for Windows backup into 1P7 for Mac.

• UanPassw0rd
    UanPassw0rd
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

Thank you @brenty No worries. I will explain it again.

So basically what happened:

I had to reinstall Windows 10. I did not know that the way I took my 1Password 7 files is not proper so this is what I did:

1. I took the backup file from Appdata - Local - 1Password - Backup. The file's name is the date: 2018-08-13 and it is with .zip extension. In it there are one "default" folder with .attachment files and many band.js files and one profile.js file.
    2. I also exported all of my passwords as txt just to be safe but honestly I thought I will be able to just import from the backup file.
    3. When I got to a new Windows 10 install with the latest 1Password 7 (I also tried on my Mac also with 1Password 7) I realised that there is no way for me to give it this zip file and import the passwords.

All I am trying to do is to somehow use the backup zip file I have described or the txt file to get my passwords back to 1Password 7 on that machine.

I do not have another copy or synced device with those passwords. The .txt file and the .zip are my only coppies now of everything I have. (I use a lincesed 1Password 7 with standalone vault without Dropbox sinc or 1Password.com account).

Can you please advise me if there is a way to get my passwords back to 1Password 7 on Windows 10 or the Mac?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@UanPassw0rd - OK, thanks. So, 1Password for Mac backup and 1Password for Windows backups are not the same; they're constructed differently for different OSes, and they're not interchangeable. The way to do what I think (still not sure) you're looking to do would be instead of creating a backup, to use these instructions to sync your 1Password database with a folder (don't worry that the instructions say "Dropbox," you can choose any folder on your PC's hard drive, doesn't have to be Dropbox). You may even wish to insert a USB flash drive and set the sync there. Then, once a sync has been performed, you'll have a (fully-encrypted) OPVault of your Primary vault. You'll need to repeat this with other vaults as well, if you have any. Then, eject the USB flash drive and take it with you to your Mac. If you have no vaults in 1Password for Mac, you'll need to create at least the first one within the app itself, but from there, you should be able to sync it to the corresponding Primary vault on the USB flash drive. And after the Primary vault, you should be able to just double-click vaults directly on the USB flash drive, and they will ask to be opened (and synced) in 1Password for Mac. Once everything's imported (synced), you can turn OFF sync in Preferences > Sync.

• UanPassw0rd
    UanPassw0rd
    Community Member

Hello @Lars Thank you so much! I will try your solution right now.

Here is my explanation of exactly what happened: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/454998#Comment_454998

(the last comment)

• UanPassw0rd
    UanPassw0rd
    Community Member

It worked @Lars You are the BEST!

Basically what I did:

I took the 2018-08-13.zip folder generated by 1Password 7 Windows. On the new Windows 10 with a new 1Password 7 I started from scratch. I chose: Open vault on this PC and I renamed the 2018-08-13.zip to .opvault (since it only accepts .opvault or .agilekeychain.

And it WORKED! All my items are now in a new vault. I will now follow the steps you gave me to export for Mac.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@UanPassw0rd: Let's not do this in multiple places. I'll merge your post with the existing discussion.

• UanPassw0rd
    UanPassw0rd
    Community Member

Hello @brenty I did not move this. I am not sure how it happened. Anyway. I have solved the issue.

Basically what I did:

I took the 2018-08-13.zip folder generated by 1Password 7 Windows. On the new Windows 10 with a new 1Password 7 I started from scratch. I chose: Open vault on this PC and I renamed the 2018-08-13.zip to .opvault (since it only accepts .opvault or .agilekeychain.

All my items are now in a new vault.

Thank you so much for the help! :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@UanPassw0rd - I'm glad that worked for you! Let us know if you need anything else. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018

@UanPassw0rd: Sorry for the confusion there. Some maintenance happened at an inopportune moment while I was trying to merge things. I guess it doesn't matter now since you've opened the OPVault in the app though. Thanks for the update! :)

This discussion has been closed.