DeleteFile failed ; code 32 preventing update

Trying to update 1Pwd from 7.1.567 to 7.2.576. but I get "DeleteFile failed ; code 32" stopping the update process.
Asus T300 Chi Touch Tablet
Running Win 10 V 1803 with auto updating enabled.
Running MalwareBytes 3.5.1.2522.

Problem persists when PC is restarted with MalwareBytes disabled at start-up.

Safe Mode restart is not possible for me on Asus T300 Touch pad because touch screen and bluetooth are not available in the boot menu. Only USB is USB3 type B.

1Password Version: 7.1.567 updating to 7.2.576
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Win 10. v1803
Sync Type: 1Pwd Family Subscription

Comments

• DerBandit
    DerBandit
    Community Member

I had this error as well, the second time now. The only way for me to get the update was, to delete the old version from my W10 and reinstall the new version.
    I only do final release updates, no betas. I do not have MalwareBytes installed. Checking Resource Monitor and Task Manager, I could not find any "hanging" 1password.exe

Thanks

Berthold

• marcotri
    marcotri
    Community Member

Same here - Asus XPS13 W10

• Hi guys,

Thanks for reporting this.

We're working on an idea that may work around this specific issue as there are so many combinations of security tools that keeps interfering with 1Password updates like this.

For now, if you've received this error, you must cleanly reinstall 1Password as aborting the setup won't work to roll back properly, we're removing this option in a future update and will simply install the new version alongside the old version, Chrome style. For now, do this to ensure your 1Password is not damaged by the bad update:

1. Download the latest copy of 1Password from here but do not run yet: https://1Password.com/downloads/
    2. Uninstall all instances of 1Password using the Control Panel's Uninstall a program option. Note: Do not allow any third party uninstaller to clean up 1Password. Your 1Password data will not be affected.
    3. Open Windows File Explorer and enter %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password in the address bar. You should not see the app folder but if you do, move this to the desktop.
    4. Check for Windows updates, make sure to include all optional updates as well.
    5. Reboot your computer but do not open any browsers. Run the 1Password installer you've downloaded from step 1 and see if it works now.

@DavidPennycuick, was Malwarebytes running the first time it happened?

@DerBandit, do you recall if it updated while web browsers are running?

@marcotri, when you say same here, which anti-malware solution are you using?

• DerBandit
    DerBandit
    Community Member

I think, I had both cases. With active browsers and without. Clean reboot and than first thing trying to run the update. It always failed.

Thanks for your detailed description!

• Hi @DerBandit,

Please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@1Password.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

• DavidPennycuick
    DavidPennycuick
    Community Member

Yes @MikeT - MalwareBytes was running at the first attempt to upgrade.

• Hi @DavidPennycuick,

They said they fixed it in the latest updates but it looks like we'll need to get in touch with them again.

• DavidPennycuick
    DavidPennycuick
    Community Member

Yes @MikeT - MalwareBytes was running at the first attempt to upgrade.

• DavidPennycuick
    DavidPennycuick
    Community Member

@MikeT. Hopefully that is the issue and the folk at MB can fix it - although it seems to be a different failure code to the original issue. (which is why I pulled my comment from there and started this thread.)

• DavidPennycuick
    DavidPennycuick
    Community Member

@MikeT - OK - the fresh installation did the trick. To be sure I kept Malwarebytes off while I did the install of 1Pwd then reinitiated MB.
    I also spun up a Parallels Win10 VM (without Malwarebytes) that I keep on my Mac. 1Pwd opened fine and updated without error.

• DerBandit
    DerBandit
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

@MikeT, mail is sent!
    Forgot the file, and sent a second mail :/
    Ticket No. is #XIV-58598-551

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @DerBandit,

I have found your email on our side and we will get back to you via email asap. Thanks! :+1:

ref: XIV-58598-551

• tvoll
    tvoll
    Community Member

Having the same issue here..
    Was able to fix it by uninstalling 1Password all together and then installing the newewst version.
    Pretty ridiculous that an update would require such a hard fix; but at least it is fixed now..

• Hi @tvoll,

Yep, it is silly to have to do that but it's not the update itself that caused this problem. Certain anti-malware solutions are over-aggressive about this and doesn't give us access to our files fast enough before the install fails.

Once it fails, it can't be repaired.

98% of our users are never affected but that's still not acceptable for us. We're working on a side project that should in theory bypass this issue by not replacing the old files but co-exist instead to remove after the install is done.

• robertoleonardo
    robertoleonardo
    Community Member

i've had this issue several times over the last few months and am just now finally doing something about it (previously have just eventually ended up doing the clean install option of my own volition without having researched or read this thread). i have MB. It was running when I first ran updater today. i got error. i then added every possible exclusion for 1password within MB just now, but I gather from the above that damage is done and i now need to do the clean install option notwithstanding those exclusions having been added. Okay, that's fine, i get that.

The lingering question is, then, now that i've added that exclusion in MBAM ... NEXT time there's an update - will have adding the exclusions in MB avoid the error in the future as well (i won't hold you to your word - but i'm just asking if it's your general understanding is that however MB interferes, it would be remedied by adding 1password exclusions)? or is it likely something more than that going on here?

• MikeT
    edited September 2018

Hi @robertoleonardo,

We don't know what changes they may do in the future but generally, excluding the 1Password directory (not the file itself) directly should avoid most of the troubles. We're not aware of any issues after the exclusion of the directory.

We're working on our own in-house installer to try to bypass this issue but it may not work around this for all anti-malware solutions. We're hoping it will reduce the chance of it happening.

• robertoleonardo
    robertoleonardo
    Community Member

Great, thanks. Yes that is one of the exclusions I added. I went full on rendundancy times 3 and did file, folder, internet-connected exe type exclusions for 1p. i'll let ya know if it is an issue in the future so you know that the directory exclusion is no longer sufficient to get around it. thanks!

• Thanks, we appreciate that!

• DavidPennycuick
    DavidPennycuick
    Community Member
    edited September 2018

It looks like this is still an issue. It is a bit of a pest because auto update was enabled (default?) and the latest update started automatically before I had a chance to kill Malwarebytes... I have now disabled auto update.
    My question is - does this still require a full re-install of 1PWD to fix or is there a quicker workaround? (I'm reluctant to whitelist the 1PWD folder in MB since it seems to me that opens an attack vector for bad actors to look for that folder and use it for their own purposes in malware attacks)

• MikeT
    edited September 2018

Hi @DavidPennycuick,

Make sure your Malwarebytes is up to date, it should be Malwarebytes version: 3.5.1.2522 (or higher) and Component package update: 1.0.391 (or higher). They confirmed to us that they've fixed the issue in these updates.

If you see it again, do not abort or cancel the install, do this:

1. After seeing the 1Password installer error, do not do anything, leave it as is.
    2. Open Malwarebytes and from the Dashboard, turn Ransomware protection to Off
    3. The User Account Control (UAC) message will appear, click Yes
    4. Malwarebytes Real-Time Protection turned off message will appear, ignore this for now
    5. Go back to the 1Password installer error and click Retry (or in some cases, OK then Retry)
    6. After 1Password successfully installs, go back to the Malwarebytes Dashboard and turn Ransomware protection to On

Without whitelisting 1Password directory, it will always remain an issue. There is no reason for Malwarebytes (almost no other AVs does this) to interfere with 1Password's installation. The last few times we've reported this, they confirmed the issue and said they've fixed it in later updates, we did see less reports of this after these updates.

If it happens once more, please report it to Malwarebytes, so they can look into it again.

• DavidPennycuick
    DavidPennycuick
    Community Member

Thanks Mike.

• You're welcome, let us know if it helps next time.

This discussion has been closed.