1Password 7 Hangs/Not Responding on Mac

Options
SpencerM
SpencerM
Community Member

Hello,

I am not able to use 1Password 7 on my Mac anymore. This morning it started hanging whenever I run the app with the message, "Application Not Responding." It won't open the browser extension either, I'm guessing because the app itself is frozen. I've tried using AppZapper and CleanMyMac to remove it completely and reinstalled the latest with no success.

Thank you for your help!

Spencer

1Password Version: 7.0.7
Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: 1Password for Families

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @SpencerM! I'm sorry to hear you're having troubles with 1Password 7 for Mac! I do have to warn, as a note for anyone else reading this in the future that we strongly recommend against the use of app "cleaners" or uninstallers like the two you mentioned. The reason for this is that they can (and often do) remove more than we want them to. In worst cases, we've seen users' entire data folders and all backups deleted. Definitely not what you want. The recommended way to delete 1Password is to drag it to your Mac's trash from the Applications folder, then empty the Trash.

Given that you've used not one but two of these, I'm guessing we'll need to have a look at a diagnostics report, but before we go down that road, I have to ask -- when was the last time you restarted your Mac? If it's been since before this problem started occurring, or you can't remember, let's try that first: restart your Mac and see if the problem persists. Let me know how that goes.

• SpencerM
    SpencerM
    Community Member
    Options

Sigh, I'm embarrassed that I didn't try that first. Restarting fixed the issue. I suppose I didn't really consider it because I had restarted first thing this morning which is when the problem started happening.

Thank you for the tip regarding the app cleaners. I'll keep that in mind for the future. I thought that perhaps a local DB had been corrupted (had that happen with other apps), so I opted for the nuclear option.

Thanks so much for the help!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@SpencerM - hey, no worries! I'm just glad that seems to have cured whatever was ailing your Mac. Keep an eye on it, and if you notice unusual CPU use or anything else "hinky" ( <--- technical jargon), definitely let us know. :)

• SpencerM
    SpencerM
    Community Member
    Options

Will do, and thanks again!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.