Master password for 1Password is not working on my Mac, iPhone or iPad.

Options
jfdowshen
jfdowshen
Community Member

Everything was fine this morning. This afternoon I was trying to add 1Password to FireFox on my Mac (currently use Chrome). When I tried to log in to your website on FireFox my password would not work. I went back to Chrome and it wouldn't work there. It also won't work on my iPhone X (using facial recognition) or my iPad. However, if I login with "Agilebits" on my Mac, it does open. What's happening, and how can I resolve this quickly as I use 1Password everyday. Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.0.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS High Sierra 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Master password no longer working for 1Password, but now password generated for Agilebits is?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jfdowshen - sorry for the trouble you're experiencing just now. It sounds as if you may have both local vaults and a 1password.com account. Could that be possible? What I'd like you to do is two things:

1. Open a browser and visit your account sign-in page. See if you can sign into your account using your Master Password. If not, try using the "AgileBits" item on your Mac (...?).
    2. If you can, open 1Password 7 for Mac on your Mac and visit Preferences > Vaults and tell me what you see there: how many vaults, and what are their names?

Thanks.

• jfdowshen
    jfdowshen
    Community Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

Thanks. I used your link to open 1P and it wouldn't accept my master password. At this point I couldn't even open my Chrome app to try to find the AgileBits login. I did get the screen filled in with my sign0in address, email address and Secret Key (that was accurate), but it wouldn't accept a master password. FYI. I switched to my wife's desktop on this computer [email address removed by AgileBits; this is a public forum] and was able to sign in with her password, so the Family does still exist. What now?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jfdowshen - if you have a 1Password Families account, I hope you made at least one other member a Family Organizer. If you did, then you can have that person recover your account. This will allow you to choose a new Master Password and also to receive a new Secret Key. You'll need to sign in again with the new credentials on every device you use 1Password on afterwards, because the old credentials will no longer work. But your data will remain safe and in the condition you left it.

If you don't have any other Family Organizers who can help you recover your account, then the picture gets much darker. A forgotten Master Password in a single-individual situation (or in a multi-user account where there is only one Admin or Family Organizer) means data will likely be unrecoverable. Let me know what the case is, and good luck!

• jfdowshen
    jfdowshen
    Community Member
    Options

Was able to restore from my wife's account. All devices are up. Thanks for your help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jfdowshen - glad to hear it! Losing data is never fun. Let us know if you have any further questions or problems. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.