How to get "license key" to use 1Password4 on Windows

I purchased a family license in 2014 for 1Password and have a license file. My daughter has a windows machine running Windows 10. We saw on 1Password forum that you can't use the a recent version of 1Password on windows because it doesn't support licenses. So we downloaded and installed 1Password4 which was the one the forum suggested we use. But when we want to define a license, it asks for a "License Key" not a license file. We have the license file on the machine and when we click on the license file it wants to download 1Password4 AGAIN and told us to restart, which we did, but when we click on the license file, it says it wants to download and install 1Password4 for the THIRD time. We canceled that.

So: Trying to use the program, it asks for a "license key"
but using the license file (which we have) it wants to reinstall the software over and over.
It still says we only have a "Trial" version.

How do we solve this?

1Password Version: 4
Extension Version: 4.6.2.626
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: local

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @boyland,

Thank you for reaching out and using 1Password! Let me try to explain the situation you are in.

If you have a license file, not a license key, your purchase of a family license in 2014 did not include 1Password 4 for Windows. 1Password 4 for Windows is an old version of 1Password for Windows and we stopped selling standalone licenses for it.

The current version of 1Password 7 for Windows supports both standalone licenses and 1Password accounts, so if you want to use 1Password on your daughter's computer, you should download 1Password 7. Please see this neighbour thread on how you can purchase a standalone license from within the app.
    If you are planning to use 1Password with your family, I would recommend you to sign up for a family account instead. 1Password accounts have a lot of benefits, comparing to standalone licenses, and you can learn more about family accounts here:

About 1Password Families

Let me know if you have any additional questions, I will be happy to help.

Cheers,
    Greg

• boyland
    boyland
    Community Member

The license we purchased in 2014 already was a family license. It allows us to use 1Password on all devices our family uses. Are you saying that this family license is not valid for any Windows 1Password? if so, are you saying that it's possible to purchase 1Password 7 for Windows that doesn't involve subscription?

I have zero desire to put our passwords in the cloud (dropbox or 1Password). That feels very insecure to me -- any attacker will have unlimited time to try to crack any vault that is found in the cloud.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @boyland,

Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part!

If your existing family license included 1Password 4 for Windows, please send us an email to support+windows@agilebits.com, I will check your license on our side, and provide you with the license key for 1Password 4 for Windows. After the email, you should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here and we will get back to you shortly. :)

Cheers,
    Greg

• boyland
    boyland
    Community Member

Here's the key: [#RRZ-52915-957]

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @boyland,

I can see that we have already replied to your email. Please use the license key from that email to activate 1Password 4 on your PC and let me know if it works. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.