Converting from Individual to Family Plan

Options
davpel
davpel
Community Member

I've had an individual standalone 1P license for many years. One by one, my wife and kids have started using 1P on individual subscription plans. With my upgrade to 1P7, I've finally switched to a subscription plan myself and, with that change, am ready to convert all of us to a family plan. Are there detailed instructions on the best way to do this; obviously, I wan't to ensure that no data is lost in the transition as we all have a ton of information stored in our individual vaults.

1Password Version: 7.07
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@davpel

I've had an individual standalone 1P license for many years.

If the fact that you've been a member of this forum since late 2007 is any indication, you sure have! Wow. :)

With my upgrade to 1P7, I've finally switched to a subscription plan myself and, with that change, am ready to convert all of us to a family plan.

Best. Decision. Ever -- if you have multiple people who want to share some stuff in common, keep other stuff private/personal. If all of your family members have already created and are using individual accounts, then the way to do this will be for you to create the 1Password Families account. You can do this quite easily by signing into your 1password.com account in a browser and clicking the "Invite People" link in the right sidebar (do that instead of the first step in these instructions). Follow the rest of those instructions to get the rest of your family invited and confirmed.

Make sure all of you are aware that each of them will (temporarily) have two accounts; you cannot simply "link" individual accounts to form a 1Password Families account. What they'll be doing from here is accepting your invitation, then creating an account as part of your 1Password Families account. Once they've done that, have them add this new account to their 1Password apps. This will (again, temporarily) give them two accounts within 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows (whichever they're using). Then, they should use these instructions to move all of their items from their individual account into the 1Password Families account's Personal vault. Once they've done that, confirmed everything's moved and the old individual account is empty, still in 1Password, they should do the following:

• (on a Mac): open Preferences > Accounts, then click the minus button in the lower left corner of that window to remove the Individual account.
    • (on a PC): click Accounts > (individual account) > Sign Out to remove the Individual account.

Once that's done, they should be left with only their 1Password Families account, and you should have only your 1Password Families account also. The only things that are left to do are:

1. Make sure everyone prints out or saves their Emergency Kit to pdf, so they can sign in on new devices,
    2. Make at least one other person a Family Organizer. This is one of the best aspects of 1Password Families -- if one of your family forgets his/her Master Password or loses his/her Secret Key, you as Family Organizer can help them recover their account. That's something that (by design) even WE cannot do. But Family Organizers can, so people don't lose their data even if they forget. But what happens if you forget your Master Password or lose your Secret Key, and you're the only Family Organizer? The entire account is in trouble. But if you designate someone else to also be a Family Organizer, then they can help you in an emergency just as you can help them -- and either of you can help everyone else.
    3. Decide amongst yourselves which items in everyone's Personal vaults belong more appropriately in the Shared vault. Shared is a great place for things like the family Netflix password, or Secure Notes with the garage door code, or any other items where all family members use the same information/credentials. "Personal" is a great place to keep stuff that only the individual uses -- like each family member probably has their own Facebook, Gmail accounts - and possibly many others. You don't want four or five Login items in Shared all called "Facebook" because each one belongs do a different person. You'll get the hang of what should go where pretty quickly.

I also - in my own 1Password Families account - have created a separate vault named "Parents" which only my wife and I can see/use, into which we put things like the credit card information and other stuff that we need to share between us but the kids don't need.

Welcome, to all of you, to 1Password Families -- you're going to love all the flexibility and sharing. :) Let us know if you have any questions!

• davpel
    davpel
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Lars! I guess it has been since 2007 (or earlier). Still a very satisfied customer. I'm not sure a day has gone by during the past 10+ years when I haven't used 1P at least once.

I appreciate the detailed instructions and will get on this task ASAP.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018
    Options

@davpel - sounds good; let us know if you hit any snags -- oh, and don't forget to have people visit their old 1Password individual accounts in a browser and delete them -- Settings > Delete Account. If they were subscribed via Apple Subscription (instead of directly through us), have them use these instructions to cancel their Apple Subscription first, however. :)

This discussion has been closed.