Migrating/Moving vaults when upgrading from v. 6 to v. 7?

Options
silvermoonbeam
silvermoonbeam
Community Member

I've used 1Password for at least 9 years—version 3—and just today decided to upgrade to v. 7. I've had a Primary vault in Dropbox and two other vaults, although not in the same folder. When I installed 1Password 6 on my new computer prior to the update, it never saw the two other vaults. And still didn't see them when I upgraded to 7. The option "New Vault" is only to create a vault, not add an existing one.

My older Mac could see them, even when moving to 7 and my iOS devices see them. But how can I add a vault on my newest computer (yes, Dropbox is there and 1Password should have been able to see the vaults.) And once I get 1Password to see these vaults, can I move them? On my older computer there was an option to sync them with iCloud, but then a message came up saying iCloud was not enabled. What?!?

So, this transition has not been as easy or seamless as I had hoped. The vaults are also not seen inside my 1Password account. I guess my main vault got moved to an agilebits server, but this was never mentioned during the upgrade. Can these other vaults be moved to the 1Password account? Also, there's no sync button in the preferences on my newer Mac, but there is on the older Mac. What's going on?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.3
Sync Type: I don't know!

Comments

• silvermoonbeam
    silvermoonbeam
    Community Member
    Options

Edit: Well, I figured out a workaround in case anyone else has a similar problem: I created new vaults with the same names as the ones I had on Dropbox and then copied all items from the old vaults to the new. But I could only do this on one of the computers. Once done, however, my "newly created old vaults" showed up.

But I still think this shouldn't have been necessary and the upgrade process should have asked if there were other vaults.

Also, I think that because my original master password wasn't 10 characters long—I had to change it—I may have one master password for 1Password 7 on the new Mac while 1Password 7 on the older Mac balked at the new one and was only happy when I used the older one.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@silvermoonbeam - sorry for the trouble you've experienced. Do you mean to say that you upgraded directly from 1Password 3 for Mac to the current version 7? Or have you been upgrading steadily all along?

If you created a 1password.com account as part of the transition to 1Password 7, welcome! 1Password 7 should indeed have imported your 1Password 6 for Mac database directly (no need to use the Dropbox option). I'm not quite certain what happened in your case, but if you were able to create new vaults in your 1password.com account and import the data, then you should be good. Just remember to delete the local versions of these vaults, else you will have duplicated data (one local/Dropbox and the other in your 1password.com account) which will not sync with one another. If you've managed to import/move all your previous data so that when you sign into your 1password.com account in a browser, you can see a complete and up-to-date copy of your data, then remove the older vault(s) so that you have only your 1password.com account's vaults on all your devices. Let us know if you have any questions.

This discussion has been closed.