auto open

kdeemer
kdeemer
Community Member

Is there any way to have 1PW open automatically when my computer is unlocked? I have upgraded to version 7 and it is driving me nuts to have to enter a 10 digit password repeatedly on a trusted home computer. I'm considering either rolling back or looking for another solution.

1Password Version: 7.0.7
Extension Version: 4.7.2.90
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: membership
Referrer: forum-search:auto open

Comments

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member

You cannot have it automatically unlock. But try adjusting the auto-lock settings so it doesn't lock as often as it does now.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

It is possible, if you feel your computer is secure enough that no-one else has access to it, to adjust the settings so that once 1PW is unlocked it stays unlocked until logout/restart.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@kdeemer - the suggestions provided by both @pervel and @danco are spot-on: Preferences > Security is the place where you can significantly tweak the security settings to suit your own situation. It's not possible - nor will it ever be, likely - to have 1Password never request your Master Password, because if it did, then a) we'd be nothing more than a database that anyone could access and b) too many less-sophisticated users would open themselves up to serious security issues unknowingly by just trying to "make things easier." Let us know if you have any questions about the Security settings.

• Grow
    Grow
    Community Member

+1 for this. I know it's is riskier but if someone can unlock my computer (Windows password), they can have everything else.
    Just my 2 cents.

• @LagPick it would be extremely irresponsible of us to not encrypt 1Password data at all. You might as well store your passwords in a spreadsheet at that point. Consider the possibility that your computer is stolen. The thief, or whoever buys it from them, will be able to read the data off the drive without entering your Windows password. Obviously if this situation played out it would be terrible for a lot of reasons, but would you not feel a little better knowing that your 1Password data is protected with strong encryption?

As danco and pervel mentioned you can already set your 1Password auto-lock settings such that you only have to enter your Master Password when you first log in to your computer after having shut down / rebooted / logged out. This is not ideal / recommended in most situations, but if that is what you’re comfortable with that is a decision you can make.

Ben

• Grow
    Grow
    Community Member

Thank you. How about use windows login to login 1Passwords as well, like you did with Windows Hello.

• You could set your Windows account password as your 1Password Master Password if you’d like (again — not recommended, do so at your own risk), but there is no way for 1Password to capture that password and use it to unlock 1Password as you enter it to log in to Windows.

Also, this is the Mac category. If you’d like to discuss options specific to 1Password for Windows, you may wish to start a thread in the Windows category. :)

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I know it's is riskier but if someone can unlock my computer (Windows password), they can have everything else.

Just to clarify, the point of 1Password is that you can store data there that can remain secure even if someone can get everything else on the device. Food for thought.

This discussion has been closed.