To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

no secret key or emergency kit

Options
adomescek
adomescek
Community Member

I am having problems with one of our computers not syncing. While trying to get info off your site it told me I need a secret key. I've never had this. It also mentions an emergency kit which i've also never had. what do i do?

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.13.6
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:I have a one password 5 license account. I was directed to enter a secret key which i don't have

Comments

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @adomescek

Secret Keys are only for people with 1Password.com memberships. As you indicate, you sync via Dropbox so you don't have one of those. If you'd like, we can later work on migrating you over to one as there are a lot of benefits to using one. But for now, you don't have a Secret Key, nor do you need one.

If you are having difficulties syncing via Dropbox, take a look over at https://support.1password.com/dropbox-troubleshooting for various things you can try that often fix Dropbox syncing issues.

• knakano
    knakano
    Community Member
    Options

HI: I previously created an account via a membership (monthly fee, right?) but do not recall being prompted to download an emergency kit. I cannot locate an accounts icon via the account i already have.

I also used the one-time upgrade button within my 1Password account. Did the one-time fee negate my ability to have an emergency kit?

What can I do to find/see my emergency kit if I do indeed have one.

Aloha from HI.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@knakano: Yes, if you made a one-time purchase of a license, there is no Emergency Kit or account associated with that. You will only have those things if you've signed up for a 1Password.com membership, and only you would have them, not us. Have you been using local vaults in 1Password with a standalone license then, since it sounds like that's what you purchased?

• thomas769
    thomas769
    Community Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

Is there an easy way to check if I have a membership? I have a license that says I can use the app on as many Macs as needed. However, like others on the thread I don't have a secret key or emergency kit that I'm aware of. Without the former I can't get my new laptop connected. I did email support. Have read all that I can find but hitting roadblock after a couple of hours trying to make it work

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @thomas769: I see your email and I'll reply to you there in just a moment to avoid any duplication of effort. :)

• pharlan11
    pharlan11
    Community Member
    Options

A few years ago, I bought a 1Password license for my iPhone and iPad and did not (I think) buy a iPassword account. However, there seems to a Secret Key. A year later,, I bought a separate 1Password license for my MacBook. I can easily get to the Emergency Kit for it so I know its Secret Key. I may or may not have a 1Password account for this license. How can I determine if I have an account or not? If I do, Can I set up account(s) using the Mac iPassword for the iPhone and iPad or do I have to buy separate accounts?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@pharlan11: A fairly straightforward way to know if you have a 1Password membership account is if you're paying for a subscription. You could technically have a membership account anyway...but it would be frozen after the trial without an active subscription. A single 1Password membership covers all your devices, so generally one is all you need (unless you want something separate for work, etc.) If you have your Emergency Kit, you should be able to use that to sign into https://start.1password.com in your web browser. Do you have all your data there in the account?

• BobBilly
    BobBilly
    Community Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

Hello,

My name is Robert Malone. I am in the midst of signing up for 1Password (setting up my account), as I have purchased the service through EERO. I have gone through the set up process and I am attempting to log in for the first time. It is asking me for a “secret key.” During the set up process, I either did not get asked this or I blew right past it without knowing. Either way, I don’t know the “secret key.” The solution to this, according to the support thread, is to log in and follow the instructions. However, I don’t seem to be able to log in without the secret key. I’m in a catch 22.

I have also logged a ticket with support: Re: [#NRW-86719-992] Unable to sign in

What do I do?

Rob Malone

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2019
    Options

Hi @BobBilly! Welcome to the forum!

I see that my colleague Bogdan has already helped you via email :)

ref: NRW-86719-992

This discussion has been closed.