Subdomains and iOS12 autofill

2»

Comments

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@jarledb: Yes. Please seen my comments and screenshot above.

• Is there any way I can share some screenshots and a video with you privately? I don't want to share usernames and urls here.

• Just so I/we can understand the iOS implementation...

The documentation that Apple provides:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/password_autofill/

Links to the information on the "AuthenticationServices framework" for the "credential provider extension":

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/authenticationservices

It's been about 5 years since I've done any Objective-C, and I don't really understand this quite basic/minimal documentation.

Would it be possible for one of the 1Password iOS developers to explain how 1Password interacts with iOS?

I'm not sure if:

1. 1Password provides a full list of accounts to begin with, iOS keeps that on record, and will only ask 1Password for the password when the user selects the account.
    2. When someone focuses on a login form in Safari, 1Password is asked to return a list of logins at that point.

I'm assuming it's the second approach, as that avoids synchronisation issues.

In which case... when 1Password is being asked for a list of logins:

1. What do you get told? I'm assuming you're told the full domain name,
    2. What do you return? I'm assuming the username and the partial domain name (TLD); not the password, as that's provided after the user selects the account they want.
    3. Does the order of the logins you return matter? and if so, is the first one returned the default one shown?
  • MrRooniMrRooni

Team Member

Good morning, Craig. It’s actually the first one. We provide iOS with a full list of usernames and the fully qualified domains with which they are associated. When you tap into a form iOS shows all the top-level domain matches.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@jarledb: Sure! Shoot us an email at [email protected] and post the Support ID you receive here. :)

• I'm also frequently bitten by the lack of subdomain and port number matching. 1Password usually presents me with dozens of logins that don't apply.

Proposal for a matching "algorithm" that probably doesn't break anything for anybody:
    1. try matching subdomain and port number (if port number is different from 443 or 80)
    2. if no exact match, try without port number
    3. if still no match, only then search for all domain items, ignoring the subdomain, or whatever you do currently.

What I don't understand is why presenting an exact match would only if present would break anything for anyone.

• a1andreasa1andreas Junior Member

@maikm I like your suggestion!
    Even better with port number matching too, as you say. That would be very useful for me to.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

As mentioned previously, the iOS 12 Password Autofill feature works only with the domain, not subdomains or port numbers. We can consider making changes to how 1Password itself presents matches, but that will not impact the topic of this discussion.

• steve28steve28 Junior Member

I hope something can be done, because this is useless:

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@steve28: Sorry, what's the problem?

edited September 2018

@brenty Can you tell me which one of those listed accounts is for router.mydonain.com?

Edit: I know it's not a 1P limitation - it's an iOS one. I'm hoping that Agilebits has more pull with Apple than I do through https://apple.com/feedback (which I submitted)

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@steve28: If you tap "1Password..." at the bottom there, as suggested above, what do you see?

@brenty of course then I get a properly ordered list. My point is that I hope you are lobbying Apple to fix it so it works without needing the extra step

• brentybrenty

Team Member

Ah, gotcha. I don't think they necessarily have to listen to us, but we have shared feedback with them. Cheers! :)

• We can consider making changes to how 1Password itself presents matches, but that will not impact the topic of this discussion.

@brenty I realize this discussion is about the iOS 12 autofill, but I was referred here by your twitter account where 1Password matching was the topic:

Anyway, wouldn't the iOS 12 autofill list become much shorter as well if 1Password would apply stricter matching (as proposed earlier here) before handing the result list over to the operating system?

• brentybrenty

Team Member

I realize this discussion is about the iOS 12 autofill, but I was referred here by your twitter account where 1Password matching was the topic:

@maikm: No worries. Thanks for the context. :)

Anyway, wouldn't the iOS 12 autofill list become much shorter as well if 1Password would apply stricter matching (as proposed earlier here) before handing the result list over to the operating system?

Sure, but that isn't possible. The OS alone handles this feature. Sorry. :blush:

As mentioned above,

That just isn't possible with iOS 12 autofill. But we can control the experience when you tap "1Password..." since that brings up 1Password's app UI. We can show the whole URL there. And that's something we can iterate on over time as well. :)

So if you have feedback about 1Password's UI, that's something we can evaluate along with everyone else's. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file