Backing up/Syncing my vault in addition to 1password cloud sync

Hello,

I'm a new 1password user (you guys won me over with your Android P browser autofill support) and am currently using the 1password membership trial and considering purchasing. Since I'm paranoid, I want to keep a local encrypted backup of all my passwords, secure notes, and documents in addition to syncing them with 1password cloud. I cannot seem to find an option for this on Windows (1Password v7.2). There's the backups tab in settings, but the list is blank and the show files button is disabled. Where is the vault stored on the local file system? If I backup that file, is there a way for me to restore all my data using it in the future?

Thank you

1Password Version: 7.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Membership

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @kevdliu! Around here, "I'm paranoid" is a laudable (or at least noncontroversial) statement. So no worries; we share your passion for both secrecy and redundancy of data integrity.

Which is why I'm guessing you'll be surprised to hear me say that there IS no specific local backup option for 1password.com accounts. It's not just 1Password for Windows, it's not available on the Mac side either. The reason for that is that you already have a local cache of your data, which is refreshed every time you unlock (sync). It's not intended to be directly user-back-upable (not a word? It is now!). On the 1password.com server, there are redundant backups. In fact, there's individual item history, so you can restore a single item if you like instead of having to roll back an entire vault or entire account to a previous point in time.

We use Amazon's AWS servers as our host, and if you know their setup then you'll already be familiar with their disaster recovery plans. But in the unlikely event that either Amazon or 1Password goes poof unexpectedly, you'll still have the local cache of all your account's vaults. You can, at any time, transfer your data to one or more local (standalone) vaults in the event of disaster, and continue right along as you used to in the pre-1password.com days. Hope that helps!

• kevdliu
    kevdliu
    Community Member

Thanks for the insightful reply. How can I export my data to a standalone vault? I can’t seem to find the option for it. Can I do that while having a 1password membership?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kevdliu,

If you are using 1Password 7 for Windows, you can create a new local vault on your PC (go to 1Password > New vault on this PC) and then copy your items from your Personal vault to the newly created local vault.

Please note that you will need to do it manually every time, as they are not going to sync automatically.

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.