Upgraded on Android, and now I am forced to upgrade on desktop too?

Hi, I recently automatically updated my 1Password for Android to 7 and got a prompt to upgrade my vault. I clicked OK quickly thinking that it wouldn't be a big deal. But now that I logged in to 1Password 6 on my Mac, I realized that my vault is no longer synced since the desktop version isn't upgraded. I feel like I got conned into having to upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac now. I've been a standalone license user for 1Password for years and I felt like not enough warnings were given to tell me about this.

I recently purchased 1Password Pro for Android.

Now, my question is:

• Can I get a refund for my 1Password Pro for Android so I can sign up for 1Password.com's much pushed for subscription tier pricing?
  • OR: Can I get a credit for a standalone upgrade to 1Password 7 standalone license for my mac?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Upgraded on Android, and now I am forced to upgrade on desktop too?

Comments

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @DarkSuiyok

1Password 6 for Mac can sync with the new(er) OPVault format that 1Password 7 requires. Though of course we're always recommend using the latest versions of 1Password, your browsers, and your operating systems, you can continue to use 1Password 6 for Mac with 1Password 7 for Android if you wish. You will need to set up syncing with the new file in Dropbox on the Mac, though. Disable sync and then re-enable it using the new OPVault file.

To answer your questions:

Can I get a refund for my 1Password Pro for Android so I can sign up for 1Password.com's much pushed for subscription tier pricing?

Our sales team may be able to help and if you're interested in upgrading to a 1Password membership I'd highly recommend reaching out to them: [email protected]

OR: Can I get a credit for a standalone upgrade to 1Password 7 standalone license for my mac?

1Password 7 for Mac standalone licenses are already currently discounted due to the launch special ($50 USD instead of the normal $65 USD). We're not able to offer credits or discounts toward standalone license purchases.

I've been a standalone license user for 1Password for years and I felt like not enough warnings were given to tell me about this.

We did send out a newsletter, posted on our blog, posted to Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Reddit, etc, and it has been heavily covered by relevant media outlets. If you've got ideas about how we can better get the word out we'd be very interested to hear them. :)

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Hi Ben, thanks for your reply. I feel like if it is not required to update to 1Password 7, then the instructions to how to sync to the new vault should be released as a page, FAQ, or a prompt within 1Password 6 - for example, when I launch 1Password 6, it can detect the new file type and automatically use that instead, or ask to use that. If that is too much work, then a prompt with your instructions would be super helpful too.

Regarding your method of informing users about this change, I feel like more info can be provided within the app. Right now, all we get is a prompt that I won't be able to access ever again. Maybe a banner for 30 days after you upgrade to provide instructions or at least a link to the aforementioned page to help users who use it on desktop?

Overall, I do come off this experience as feeling like there was some intent from Agilebits to confuse users into upgrading. I hope to see actions taken to quickly rectify this.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Ben

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file