1Password v7

Hello. As I'm long time 1Password user, believe since v3. And every time I purchased/upgraded to standalone. And for some reasons I see 1Password v7 isn't standalone or I do something wrong. It was long time I ago when secret key been sent to my email. But I can't find. And I'm not sure I want to use 1Password account. All versions I used from dropbox. How to get upgrade to 1Password v7 and to get standalone version/license.

1Password Version: v.6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@WPNettwerk: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! 1Password 7 is available as a standalone purchase, or as part of a 1Password.com membership:

1Password 7 for Mac: The Best Ever

You will be given the purchase option in the app if you have it setup with only a local vault. It won't prompt you to purchase a license if you're signed into an 1Password.com membership account since all the apps are included in that. You may want to consider the membership option since that includes everything, and does away with license management and sync configuration altogether — you simply login to your account to authorize a device and access your data. You can try it for free for 30 days to take advantage of all of its benefits. Either way, let me know if you have any questions! :)

• I can't find the cost of the upgrade from 6.8.9 to 7 standalone. I prefer the traditional standalone model with traditional syncing, and I'd like to upgrade to version 7 if it's not too expensive. Why can't I find the cost for the standalone upgrade? I don't want to install the latest version, convert all my data, and then be stuck if it's outside of my price range.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @VRH,

It is mentioned in the link Brenty posted just above you, but the cost is $65 USD for a 1Password 7 for Mac standalone license, not including any applicable taxes. That grants one individual the ability to use 1Password v7 on any number of compatible Macs. Right at the moment it is still on sale for a reduced price of $50 USD but I couldn’t say how long that’ll be available for; it has already run significantly longer than initially expected.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• Thank you for your help!

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

You’re very welcome. :+1:

Ben

• Hello!

I'm also a long-time 1Password Standalone customer. I just installed the "Trial" version of 1Password 7 and I am NOT happy. I couldn't even log in to this forum using the normal Cmd-\ ... No. All that did was bring up the BUY MEMBERSHIP box with the tiny little "Need a license? We have those too." link. And that tiny link doesn't even use the word standalone.

OK, enough venting. So I follow the tiny link and i get the "reduced" pricing of $50. Not really a great discount for long-time supporters but I decide to make the purchase anyway. I get to the Credit card payment dialog, bring up 1Password, select the card I want to use, and ... NOTHING! It just sits there and will not fill in the saved credit card info. So I cannot use 1Password to BUY 1Password!!! That is 100% LAME!!

I don't like subscription model software: not from Adobe, nor Microsoft, nor AgileBits! And I am very annoyed how all references to the standalone version are hidden so that unless one knows where to look, it's nearly impossible to get any info. The one exception is on the Intro page - you loudly state there that both subscription and standalone versions are available but after that it's a veritable scavenger hunt to find out how to deal with licensing the standalone version.

If you sell it, why in blazes are you making it so difficult? If you're worried about confusing the people who don't understand standalone then have a link that takes those of us that want it to a separate section of the website. There. Done. Simple answer.

And one more thing -- 1Password just interrupted me to beg me to "Support 1Password development and buy now!" That's just RUDE! Especially when I don't have one-eigth of the functionality I paid for under version 6. This is not a 30-day free trial, it's NAGWARE!

Even though I have considered 1Password to be the best software of its kind, I will be looking for a suitable replacement going forward. You guys have changed, and not for the better.

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Hi @imarc845

I apologize for the confusion... there is no 30 day trial for standalone licenses. The 30 day trial is for membership. If you have not signed up for a membership trial, do not have a membership, and do not have a 1Password 7 license... 1Password 7 will not fill or allow changes to be made. That said... we should definitely look at the fact that you cannot fill into the purchase window. I agree; that is not great.

And one more thing -- 1Password just interrupted me to beg me to "Support 1Password development and buy now!" That's just RUDE! Especially when I don't have one-eigth of the functionality I paid for under version 6.

We try very hard to minimize interruptions, which is why we never ‘nag’ anyone for reviews. We do need folks to pay for 1Password if they’re going to use it though, so if attempting to use it without having a membership, membership trial, or a license for the current version you will see screens like this.

Thanks for taking the time to share your perspective. We’ll continue to evaluate how to best handle the situation with standalone licenses.

Ben

• Hi Ben,

I appreciate the rapid reply. Thank you for that.

But if I have a version 6 license on my Mac, then version 7 should allow me SOME functionality, at least within the first 30 days after install. And to be certain, the web site could be much more clear about the various disparities between Membership and Standalone.

Have a great weekend!

• dancodanco Senior Member Community Moderator

There used to be a 30 day trial on licences. But that was before subscriptions existed, so I assume from what Ben says that has now been removed.

I believe there was also a 30 day refund period after one had bought a licence. Does that still exist? Seems a shame if not, as most people would want to evaluate a program before buying.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

But if I have a version 6 license on my Mac, then version 7 should allow me SOME functionality, at least within the first 30 days after install.

@imarc845: As Ben mentioned, there is no free version of the standalone app. I disagree that a license for an older version should necessarily entitle you to use more features in the new app without paying for it, but it's an interesting idea and I do appreciate you sharing your opinion with us.

And to be certain, the web site could be much more clear about the various disparities between Membership and Standalone.

Pretty much all of the additional benefits of a 1Password.com membership leverage 1Password.com itself, so I think that's fair to everyone: if you pay for a subscription, you get the features enabled by the service. But I may be overlooking something. What in particular did you have in mind?

• brentybrenty

Team Member

There used to be a 30 day trial on licences. But that was before subscriptions existed, so I assume from what Ben says that has now been removed.

@danco: Rather than being related to 1Password.com memberships, the 1Password 7 app just doesn't have a free trial like 1Password 6 did. Anyone can use it in read-only mode indefinitely if they just want to access their data they sync'd from another device and decide if they want to purchase a license. This is actually pretty much identical to a frozen 1Password.com account. It simplifies things a lot.

I believe there was also a 30 day refund period after one had bought a licence. Does that still exist? Seems a shame if not, as most people would want to evaluate a program before buying.

We still offer refunds within the first month to folks purchasing licenses if they're not satisfied.

• Hi Brenty -

@imarc845: As Ben mentioned, there is no free version of the standalone app. I disagree that a license for an older version should necessarily entitle you to use more features in the new app without paying for it, but it's an interesting idea and I do appreciate you sharing your opinion with us.

My point is that I could NOT access my data saved in 1Password 6 in order to purchase the license for 1Password 7. That is simply wrong. Period. If you expect people to fork over their hard-earned money, you need to make it easier for them. That is Public Relations 101 material.

Pretty much all of the additional benefits of a 1Password.com membership leverage 1Password.com itself, so I think that's fair to everyone: if you pay for a subscription, you get the features enabled by the service. But I may be overlooking something. What in particular did you have in mind?

Please refer back to my original post on September 01. In particular - the website mentions that AgileBits offers both subscription and standalone versions of 1Password on the Intro page. But after that, getting any information about the standalone version is more difficult than extracting molars. I only found out the details I needed by combing through these fora. The question should be clearly addressed: "If you are looking to buy or upgrade a standalone license, click here." The click here link should take the customer to a page with all the relevant information, including:
    1. There is no 30-day free trial for standalone 1P7, only for the subscription version
    2. Purchase a license by downloading and installing 1P7 from the downloads page, then use the tiny little "Need a license? We have those too." link in the BUY MEMBERSHIP box. Note - that tiny link does not use the word standalone. That's all part of the exciting scavenger hunt.
    3. Since the newly-installed 1P7 will not auto-complete any of your logins or input your credit card info into the license purchase dialog, be sure to record those data elsewhere before installing 1P7.

If I sound like I'm being a little bit snarky, it's because I am. I'm really quite agog that you folks don't seem to understand how obfuscated the process to upgrade a standalone 1P6 license is.

I'm a programmer by trade and really quite good at following instructions and extrapolating from incomplete data. Yet I was having a high degree of difficulty (and frustration) in attempting to upgrade my 1P6 standalone license. In fact, I am still not sure I received what would be considered upgrade pricing. I've never had an issue like this before with any 1Password upgrade since version 3.

In short, my point is: state the details for all the kinds of licenses you offer clearly. Many people would not go to the lengths I did to upgrade; they would simply keep on using version 6 until they could no longer do so. And then they would purchase something else and be done with 1Password.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@imarc845: Thanks for clarifying. I have to say that it's really not as hard as you make it out to be: 1) install 2) click to purchase 3) enter purchase details. I've done this many, many times. As Ben already mentioned, we recognize there's room for improvement with regard to #3. It isn't as if it's impossible for you to purchase software on the internet by entering your payment details yourself — heck, we all do that at some point — but it would make more sense if 1Password helped with that if you already have the information saved there. Thanks for the feedback.

• @brenty Thanks for the reply. I'm glad that we can discuss like (mostly) rational people :smile: [And just to be clear - I'm the one who was perhaps not entirely rational.]
    I was wondering if I was totally off the mark when I happened to see a review on the Mac App Store from May 23. The person who wrote it (BuzzBomber or some such) didn't even know that 1P7 had standalone licenses available, didn't like subscriptions, and was sticking with 1P6. "Your Honor, I rest my case."

• BenBen AWS Team

Team Member

Well, the Mac App Store doesn’t have standalone licenses.

Getting 1Password 7 ready for the Mac App Store - AgileBits Blog

It only works with memberships.

Ben

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file