Migrating data from standalone 1password6 to family account

alee94107
alee94107
Community Member

Using the 30 day trial, I've tried to migrate my data from 1 password, individual/standing version 6 to family account. I didn't get a notification asking me if I wanted to add my existing data from the standalone to the family account.

I also can't help>tools>migrate primary vault to new account

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13..6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• alee94107
    alee94107
    Community Member

ADD
    When I try to add it manually, the app tells me that I have already done that

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@alee94107: Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry for the confusion. If you sign into your account on 1Password.com in your web browser, do you already have all of your data there? What is the exact message you're getting in the app?

• alee94107
    alee94107
    Community Member

I don't get any message. While my same password opens the account, it looks as if I am a new user. There is nothing in Shared (haven't tried to populate that). In Private, it shows only 3 items.( I have over 500 items from using 1Password for the past 6-7 years)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@alee94107: Got it. But if you haven't moved any of your existing data to your 1Password.com account, all you'll have there are the Starter Kit items (the three you're seeing). Please follow the instructions here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

That will get your data into the account, and also walk you through setting up on your other devices so they all have the same. Let me know how it goes! :)

• alee94107
    alee94107
    Community Member

When I try to add an account it tells me: "This member from [name of the account] has already been added to 1Password and cannot be added again. You can add members from other Teams and Families."

I am in trial mode -- is this why the data is moving moving over?

• alee94107
    alee94107
    Community Member

maybe I should just go back to what I had, 1password 6 ?? How do I do that?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

When I try to add an account it tells me: "This member from [name of the account] has already been added to 1Password and cannot be added again. You can add members from other Teams and Families."

@alee94107: It sounds like you just need to skip the "sign into your account" part (step 1) if you've already done that and simply proceed with (step 2) migrating your data:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I am in trial mode -- is this why the data is moving moving over?

No, it just doesn't happen automatically since some people have multiple vaults and want to decide where they move things.

maybe I should just go back to what I had, 1password 6 ?? How do I do that?

If you had 1Password 6 installed already when you installed 1Password 7, it will be zipped in your Mac's /Applications folder. But you'll still be in the same situation; both apps work the same. I think if you just migrate your data you'll be all set. Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

• alee94107
    alee94107
    Community Member

I've been stuck for days, going in circles.

I can't migrate anything over. My account appears to be added, but has nothing in it.

Referring to this,
    https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#migrate-your-data-on-your-main-device

I never see the "Click Copy Items..."
    Click Copy Items, and all your existing data, like passwords and secure notes, will be copied to your new account.

My account, which uses my old password, sort of seems like it is there (only because it uses my old password), but it is basically empty.

Any new ideas? I'm likely to just revert back to 1Password 6 and wait a while until you guys improve the software

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2018

I never see the "Click Copy Items..." Click Copy Items, and all your existing data, like passwords and secure notes, will be copied to your new account.

@alee94107: Than what are you seeing exactly? Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

My account, which uses my old password, sort of seems like it is there (only because it uses my old password), but it is basically empty.

Do you maybe mean your Primary (local) vault? If so, that's not associated with any account, which is why it may have a different Master Password than the one you used when signing up for a membership. If you sign into 1Password.com in your browser, do you have all of your data there? If that's the case, you're pretty much done and just need to sign into your account on each device and remove the Primary vault (covered at the end of that guide).

Any new ideas? I'm likely to just revert back to 1Password 6 and wait a while until you guys improve the software

1Password 6 works exactly the same, so that won't make any difference. try what I suggested above, and we'll go from there to get you sorted. :)

• alee94107
    alee94107
    Community Member

Hi there
    This is what I have (attached), which doesn't match any of your support documentation.
    My master password is the same as the original password.
    btw, I think it generally isn't clear on your support documentation whether you are referring to the web app or the desktop app.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@alee94107: What in the documentation are you talking about specifically? We're certainly open to improving it. :)

• alee94107
    alee94107
    Community Member

Good question, when I come across it again, I will point it out. Do you have any new solutions? I posted screenshots ^.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@alee94107: Thanks! I'm sorry though, I'm just not sure what you're asking at this point. Can you clarify? You screenshots don't seem to show anything out of the ordinary. It looks like you're viewing the same vault both on the website and in 1Password for Mac, with the three start kit items. Do you mean that you're still trying to migrate your data from a local vault? If so, where do you have it. It does not appear to be in the Mac app. Is it on a different device of yours?

• alee94107
    alee94107
    Community Member

Sorry, but I reinstated my 1password 6 and want to move on from this experience, which has eaten up over at least 8 hours of my time. I needed to access it in an emergency. What do I to clean up my life, devices, and computers of 1password 7? Can I just delete the app and what else? What is 1password.opvault ?? That got upgraded or changed along the way. I was using dropbox sync.

• alee94107
    alee94107
    Community Member

FYI. If you look above, the problem was that I could not bring over my data from 6 to 7. Done for now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sorry, but I reinstated my 1password 6 and want to move on from this experience, which has eaten up over at least 8 hours of my time. I needed to access it in an emergency. What do I to clean up my life, devices, and computers of 1password 7? Can I just delete the app and what else? What is 1password.opvault ?? That got upgraded or changed along the way. I was using dropbox sync.

@alee94107: Thanks for clarifying. The OPVault file is the new(er) data format. That will also work with 1Password 6, and it would be best to use that since AgileKeychain will be be supported going forward. If you reset 1Password 7 (under Help > Troubleshooting) and then drag the app to the Trash, you'll be all set there.

FYI. If you look above, the problem was that I could not bring over my data from 6 to 7. Done for now.

Sorry, I was a bit confused because both versions use the same data. It sounds like you're good to go for now, but if you need anything else just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.