Broken Mac and Android sync, no 1Password keyboard

reaxion
reaxion
Community Member

My Android device updated to the latest version. This has caused the following problems:

• Forced upgrade to new vault format with no warning of the impact (I got tired of selecting not now every time I needed a password)
  • Sync disabled with Dropbox on Mac 1Password 6
  • Android 1Password keyboard no longer works (I'm on Android 5.1 and 6 on the two devices I use)

So, your 6.x customers have essentially lost all sync functionality if they do the "you must convert" thing in the Android app. There is NO WARNING that this will happen. There is no indication either in 1Password 6 that sync has stopped. What the actual hell, guys? Is your hunger for subscriptions so strong you decide to give the bird to your non-subscription customers?

Please tell me urgently how to roll back the "upgrade" and go back to the old Android app on my phones, and also how to re-enable syncing.

Why has the keyboard been disabled on Android? Accessibility simply isn't reliable enough on the versions of Android I work and develop with. Another bad decision.

I will NEVER upgrade to version 7 if this is how you treat customers who've stuck with you for years, especially when supporting the app during the period when very little changed. I don't want my data synced to your servers, ever. I want my data under my control and I won't be forced to do what you want.

1Password Version: 6.8.9 (Mac), 7.0.2 (Android)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@reaxion: I'm sorry for the confusion. It isn't possible to "roll back". And contrary to the things you're claiming, version 7 is a free upgrade for you if you purchased 1Password for Android even years ago, syncing local vaults works just fine, you're not forced to switch to a 1Password.com membership and store encrypted data on our servers, the keyboard has not been removed, and the release notes do mention the conversion to OPVault. Have you tried setting up sync on your devices with the new vault in Dropbox? Have you enabled the 1Password keyboard in Settings > System > Languages & input > Virtual keyboard? I'm using both here myself. It sounds like those are the only things you need to do to get where you want to be, and you won't be "forced" to do otherwise.

• reaxion
    reaxion
    Community Member
    edited August 2018

@brenty I don't have a problem if Android 7.x works without disrupting my Mac 6.x version, but I don't appear to be able to load an opvault on 1Password Mac 6.x, as every time I do it's asking me to create a new vault from the opvault. Am I incorrect regarding this?

Regarding the keyboard, I enabled it in settings, but it remains greyed out when I try to use it.

• isma
    isma
    Community Member

Please, could you confirm that updating the vault in android to the new format will let me keep working with 1password v6 in my mac. I am afraid to update it and loose connection with my mac app.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018

@isma: You will need to set your other devices to use the same vault:

How to sync 1Password with Dropbox

But yes, all other versions of 1Password made in recent years support OPVault format already. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I don't have a problem if Android 7.x works without disrupting my Mac 6.x version, but I don't appear to be able to load an opvault on 1Password Mac 6.x, as every time I do it's asking me to create a new vault from the opvault. Am I incorrect regarding this?

@reaxion: Sorry for the confusion there. If you open 1Password for Mac and go to Preferences > Sync, you can select your existing vault and choose Dropbox on the right to select the new OPVault to sync with.

Regarding the keyboard, I enabled it in settings, but it remains greyed out when I try to use it.

That's odd. Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

• reaxion
    reaxion
    Community Member

@brenty Well that was easy. You might wanna post a guide regarding switching, and inform users that their vaults will stop syncing in some cases. The Mac app should be much more forthcoming when syncing stops too, as I discovered it by accident. Also, after a reboot of my device, the Android keyboard appears to be working now.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@reaxion: Glad that helped! Indeed, 1Password for Mac gives a notification when sync is disabled, but I guess it's possible you've disabled those. I can't explain the keyboard thing, but if rebooting helped we'll call that a win. ;)

You raise a good point about documentation. Honestly, different people have so many different setups that there isn't going to be a one-size-fits-all guide though (at least, not one that doesn't harm as many people as it helps). And we're always here to assist folks on an individual basis. For instance, I wouldn't have been surprised if you'd come back with "okay, but that didn't work for me", and then we could go from there to find a solution for your case. Happy that it was a quick change for you though. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.