Multiple vaults on Android [1Password accounts support this]

PoitaPoita
edited January 18 in Android

Hi. I'm sure this questions has been asked already but I recently moved all my work passwords to a vault of their own on my Windows 10 desktop 1Password app. But I don't see them on my Android phone (Note 9).
Is there a way to access both vaults on my Android phone or is the only workaround that I share rather than move the work passwords to the work vault?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• periperi

Team Member

Hi @Poita. :)

Syncing and accessing multiple standalone vaults (through Dropbox or WLAN) isn't supported on Android. You can only sync the Primary vault. However, it is possible to sync multiple vaults with a hosted 1Password account. If you're using an account, you can certainly access both.

If you're using the standalone version, however, you'll only be able to access the data in the Primary vault on Android.

• Hi Peri.

thanks for your reply but I don't understand it.

What has Dropbox got to do with 1password?
    And I don't even know what WLAN is.
    Also, I don't know what 'hosted 1password account' means.

I have the 1password desktop app on my Windows 10 pc and the 1password app on my Android phone.

• periperi

Team Member

Sorry, let me explain, @Poita. Dropbox and WLAN sync are ways to sync in 1Password for Android. If you're syncing using either of these methods, multiple vaults are not supported.

A hosted 1Password account refers to an account subscription at 1Password.com. Do you have one of these? If so, then multiple vaults are indeed supported. That said, I see that you have emailed us as well. I replied to your email with more information yesterday. Please take a look and let me know if that helps!

• Do you eventually plan to implement this feature in the standalone version of 1Password for Android to sync multiple vaults?

• periperi

Team Member

Hi @Desentyer. We do not have plans to support multiple standalone vaults on Android at the moment. Of course we never say never, but our focus is 1Password.com right now.

• So you support the feature on IOS and not on Android to be able to link in more than on vault from DropBox. And you can have more than one vault from DropBox and also have your 1password account linked on IOS and not on Andriod.

• brentybrenty

Team Member
    edited January 14

That's correct. 1Password for iOS supports multiple local vaults. It has been around for a decade, and also has the benefit of code from 1Password for Mac, which has been around even longer.

But if you had meant that 1Password for Android does not support multiple 1Password.com accounts, it does, with or without a local vault.

• Holy cow. I can't believe the Android version does not support multiple local vaults via Dropbox when the iOS version does. So much for using this among our family members (who use both iOS and Android). I guess we will look for something else.

• To me, it seems like a basic feature that is very powerful and it is missing in Android to use Dropbox for vault storage for more than one. Creating vaults to manage site accounts that you can have for personal and work was a great solution.

IE: lucidchart, redHat, atlassian, google and etc

• brentybrenty

Team Member

I don't disagree. But the Android app is only about 3 years old, whereas we've been working on the iOS app since the last decade. And since 1Password accounts already support multiple vaults "out of the box", and there have been relatively few requests for multiple local vaults, I don't see us rebuilding the app just for that. Sorry. :(

• You noted multiple local vaults. I am referencing how from the IOS App you can support more than one vault from DropBox, but on Android, you can use one vault from Dropbox.

Do you treat the integration to DropBox as local vaults on IOS and Android?
    If you create multiple vaults on your 1password account can you link more than one vault from the 1password account to IOS, Android, Mac and Windows using that same 1password account?

Looking for a solution that will let me keep some things separate and still have access to the accounts via different values.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

You noted multiple local vaults. I am referencing how from the IOS App you can support more than one vault from DropBox, but on Android, you can use one vault from Dropbox. Do you treat the integration to DropBox as local vaults on IOS and Android?

@bbya: Yes, those are local vaults. Dropbox just acts as a sync service. I'm sorry for confusing things. Any AgileKeychain or OPVault is a local vault, in the sense that they are created and managed on device, not as database objects that live in encrypted cloud storage; and also because they can be used entirely offline, never syncing (though that's a rare use case nowadays).

If you create multiple vaults on your 1password account can you link more than one vault from the 1password account to IOS, Android, Mac and Windows using that same 1password account? Looking for a solution that will let me keep some things separate and still have access to the accounts via different values.

Absolutely! With 1Password accounts, all of the vaults are hosted and managed on the server, so any setup in the account are available automatically when signing in on a device. I definitely appreciate being able to separate things in different vaults, not only for organization, but for sharing certain ones with my family, for example. I could always see a use case for that, but even though 1Password supported multiple vaults sync'd through Dropbox when I was using iOS full time, I basically stuck to a single vault because -- let's be honest -- configuring each vault's syncing across multiple devices is a huge pain. That's why multiple vaults was such a niche feature, and why our relatively young Android app (and the previous Windows app) didn't support it. It just asked a lot of the user; whereas a lot more people seem to be using multiple vaults now with 1Password accounts because it's just so much easier. It's made a huge difference for me -- and I never could have gotten my family to share multiple vaults otherwise. :lol:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file