1Password Firefox extension button greyed out

Options
camsoft
camsoft
Community Member
edited August 2018 in Mac

I'm having the exact same problem as this thread, but unfortunately the solution was never shared which kind of makes a public support forum a little pointless as I too need a resolution.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/94452/firefox-extension-greyed-out-and-will-not-work

Anyway, I've checked the permissions of the NativeMessagingHosts directly it looks fine and has default permissions. Interestingly there is no corresponding .json file in that directory for 1Password only other applications.

Firefox was a fresh install, no previous version existed. I installed Firefox only in the last week and well after the original install of 1Password. I installed the latest 1Password extension and even tried the beta with no success.

The 1Password Mini application and main application work fine.

I've tried restarting my machine with no effect. The two applications are in the same ~/Applications directory.

I sent you a 1Password diagnostic report and got email reference [#EBW-43725-389] 5 days ago but not had a reply. Having a cheekly look at the report myself I can see there is a warning about the native messaging host. Seems like a common problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.1.BETA-4 (70100004) AgileBit
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: macOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: Family Accounts

Comments

• bbeesley
    bbeesley
    Community Member
    Options

Same here, why would you close an issue as resolved and not post the resolution steps?

• camsoft
    camsoft
    Community Member
    Options

Exactly, 1Password say use the support forum but then don't post the solutions.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018
    Options

Exactly, 1Password say use the support forum but then don't post the solutions.

@camsoft: Sure we do. But there is not usually a one-size-fits-all solution for everyone. Hence troubleshooting. :)

However, in this case, it may be as simple as moving your browser and 1Password to the system /Applications folder. Do you have them installed somewhere else? It looks like it from your comments.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018
    Options

Same here, why would you close an issue as resolved and not post the resolution steps?

@bbeesley: We're not going to share information about people's private email conversations publicly without their permission if they choose not to update their thread. Sorry.

But the most common cause of this symptom is not having both 1Password and the browser in the system /Applications folder. Can you check that for me? If you have the exact same setup the original poster seems to be describing, you'll have the same problem: 1Password can't talk to the browser due to sandboxing restrictions.

• camsoft
    camsoft
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Sorry that was a typo they are in fact in the system /Applications directory.

• camsoft
    camsoft
    Community Member
    Options

@camsoft: Sure we do. But there is not usually a one-size-fits-all solution for everyone. Hence troubleshooting. :)

However, in this case, it may be as simple as moving your browser and 1Password to the system /Applications folder. Do you have them installed somewhere else? It looks like it from your comments.

To be fair, I read that post because I searched for the same issue and that was the top result. I thought the entire point of a forum is that it's public, the original poster could have just emailed if they wanted to keep things private. You offer the forum for the purposes of support, so I agree with @brenty that closing a post as "Resolved` but not posting the solution seems counter-intuitive.

Just might save people lots of time if the solution was posted as everything the poster had said publicly matched my issue exactly.

Anyway enough of the rant, I believe there is a major issue here as many seem to be having issues with the Firefox extension. I had a clean install of Firefox, with an up-to-date 1Password 7 so really it should just work. Nothing about my configuration seems out of the ordinary.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018
    Options

@camsoft: I don't disagree with you, but we don't decide for individuals whether or not they share things publicly. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway, let's continue the conversation via email to troubleshoot further. The irony is not lost on me, but since we'll need to exchange more detailed information about your setup that's probably best, rather than doing that here in public. But when we find the solution, you're welcome to update the thread, provided it doesn't involve divulging anything you'd rather keep private. :)

ref: EBW-43725-389

• camsoft
    camsoft
    Community Member
    Options

Haha oh, the irony...let's do that and I'll update this post with any resolution.

• camsoft
    camsoft
    Community Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

@brenty Has kindly helped me resolve this issue. :)

The steps that resolved my issue:

1. Remove the 1Password extension from Firefox
    2. Quit Firefox and drag it to the Trash
    3. Quit 1Password completely (Command Option Control Q) and drag it to the Trash
    4. Restart your Mac
    5. Install a fresh copy of Firefox: https://firefox.com
    6. Install a fresh copy of 1Password: https://1password.com/downloads/
    7. Install the 1Password extension: https://1password.com/browsers/

It's worth noting that I didn't even need to remove the Firefox 1Password extension, I just removed Firefox and 1Password and re-downloaded and installed them again, the existing extension then started working. Your mileage may vary though.

1Password also provided me with the following additional steps in-case the above didn't work.

The following steps are provided for reference and 1Password has stated that they should only be attempted under guidance from 1Password. I take no responsibility if something goes horribly wrong and you brick your system

1. Quit Firefox.
    2. Open Terminal, which is in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder.
    3. Run these two commands (one at a time) in Terminal, easiest if you copy from here and paste into Terminal.

sudo chown -R "$USER":staff ~/Library/Application\ Support/Mozilla
    mkdir -p ~/Library/Application\ Support/Mozilla/NativeMessagingHosts

1. Close the Terminal window (or ⌘Q to quit the app) after you've run both of those.
    2. Open 1Password and click the 1Password menu. Hold down the Control and Option keys on your keyboard. While holding the Control and Option keys, select “Quit 1Password and 1Password mini”.
    3. Open 1Password again.
    4. Open Firefox again and make sure 1Password extension is working normally for you.
  • AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@camsoft: Hey, as long as there's a resolution, that's fine by me! It could very well involve something that you'd understandably not want to share about your setup. But if it's something not specific to you that could help others, that would be great. :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@camsoft: Oh, we'll there it is, just while I was typing. Thank you! Glad to hear it worked out. :) :+1:

I would definitely suggest that anyone else try the first part and then ask for guidance if that doesn't work, since their situation may be slightly different. But generally Firefox should be able to set this up itself, which seems to have worked now even when it didn't previously for some reason. Cheers! :chuffed:

• camsoft
    camsoft
    Community Member
    Options

My feeling is there is some kind of reproducible issue here, as my setup was pretty ordinary. I had up-to-date 1Password 7, installed a fresh copy of Firefox (didn't have a previous version installed), installed the Firefox extension and it didn't work.

The underlying issue in my case was that the file com.agilebits.1password.json (I've removed a hash style prefix from example filename) didn't exist in the ~/Library/Application Support/Mozilla/NativeMessagingHosts/ directory. This file is needed to allow the 1Password Firefox extension to talk to the native 1Password app.

I can't tell you why this didn't get installed as this ~should~ happen when installing the Firefox extension. Maybe this is something the 1Password team could look into?

It's also worth noting that I had another Firefox extension that used native messaging BookMacster, which had no problems setting itself up with the native messaging host under the same environment.

Anyway my issue has been solved https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/457309/#Comment_457309

• camsoft
    camsoft
    Community Member
    Options

I would definitely suggest that anyone else try the first part and then ask for guidance if that doesn't work, since their situation may be slightly different.

@brenty I've added a disclaimer ;-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I've added a disclaimer ;-)

@camsoft: <3

I can't tell you why this didn't get installed as this ~should~ happen when installing the Firefox extension. Maybe this is something the 1Password team could look into?

We saw this a lot more when Native Messaging was new in the browsers. They had a lot more bugs in this area, but most of that has been sorted. I suspect this was simply a permissions failure when you last installed Firefox, since it worked fine this time. I'm not sure we will ever know the cause though, just that it isn't something 1Password can fix, again due to permissions.

Not familiar with BookMacster, but now I'm curious. I'll check it out. :)

• camsoft
    camsoft
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty

We saw this a lot more when Native Messaging was new in the browsers. They had a lot more bugs in this area, but most of that has been sorted. I suspect this was simply a permissions failure when you last installed Firefox, since it worked fine this time. I'm not sure we will ever know the cause though, just that it isn't something 1Password can fix, again due to permissions.

Interesting, thing is the BookMacster Firefox extension installed ok and it managed to write to the NativeMessagingHosts directory. I installed this shortly after installing the 1Password extension. Don't believe it would have been a permissions issue as I never removed this directory, just removed the Firefox .app bundle when following your resolution steps. When I re-installed Firefox and 1Password I'm just reinstalling the app bundle not any of the associated preferences, settings and caches etc in the ~/Library/Application Support directories.

Not familiar with BookMacster, but now I'm curious. I'll check it out. :)

BookMacster is quite an advanced bookmarking manager, basically a single source of truth for all your bookmarks across browsers. I used this to keep all my book markers in sync especially Firefox and Mobile Safari which uses iCloud. It's a brilliant tool but has a fairly steep learning curve as it's so powerful.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@camsoft - yeah, a big +1 for BookMacster from me. It really does have a pretty steep learning curve, but once you get it dialed in, there's nothing like it, including online repositories like Pinboard or the semi-defunct Del.icio.us. <-- not an official 1Password recommendation, just my own experience.

Anyway, glad to hear things are working once more, and we'll continue to keep an eye on the Native Messaging issue. Cheers.

This discussion has been closed.