Control vault syncing in Windows 1Password

Is there a way to get my windows version of 1Password to only sync vaults when I want it to? ie, some type of scheduling, or "sync now"....?

1Password Version: 7.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: 1password

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @portal2poe,

Thank you for reaching out! :+1: It is not possible, your vaults are synced automatically by design.

Is there a particular reason why you want to sync your vaults manually? Please let us know. Thanks!

++
    Greg

• portal2poe
    portal2poe
    Community Member

I've got a fellow at work that keeps track of all our incoming/outgoing network requests and he always asks questions about traffic, and if I could just do a sync from home, then I'm not causing him to have ask about it.

How often does 1Password for windows phone home?

• @portal2poe: It varies, but there are a few things that will always trigger a sync:

1. Unlocking after you start 1Password.
    2. Making a change in your Windows app.
    3. Making a change remotely (on another device or on 1Password.com).

If you avoid making any changes at work, you should be able to get close to a single sync per day – when you first unlock and that's that. I can't say this with full confidence as it's a bit deeper into the technical weeds than I normally delve, but 1Password X might possibly be more easily overlooked. I don't believe it syncs any less than 1Password for Windows, but it runs entirely in your browser and depending on how these requests are monitored may look just like normal web browsing to that fellow at work. You can learn more about 1Password X here:

https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

If no one else hops in sooner, @brenty will be around at some point later today and will probably be able to speak with more confidence here than I am. :+1:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@portal2poe: I'll have to catch Kate to talk to her later since I think I may be missing the angle she had in mind as far as asking me, but she's right that 1Password X should blend in more with the rest of your browser traffic. Hopefully you're not being harangued ever time you visit a website (or a website loads a new ad or something). I'd call that a hostile work environment. :tongue:

But one thing I wanted to add getting back to your original question is that even if 1Password worked the way you were asking and you could trigger sync manually, so you could do it from home, you'd still get hassled from the guy at work because any changes made at home should also trigger a sync on your work machine anyway. We're not going to make 1Password work that way because it would result in a lot of sync conflicts, or devices just not being sync'd at all, but hopefully that helps make it clearer. :)

This discussion has been closed.