Touch ID has disappeared

dowerhouse
dowerhouse
Community Member

I’ve just paid for a team membership and deleted my old drop box syncing private vault and now there is no Touch ID option when I open my iPhone app. It’s turned on in the app settings. If this is a feature of the subscription membership I want my money back. Please help?

Comments

• Hi @dowerhouse,

Just to confirm: 1Password > Settings > Security > Touch ID is enabled? Have you tried restarting your iPhone since the problem began? It should ask you for your Master Password on the first unlock and any time Touch ID is not available, but otherwise should prompt for Touch ID.

Please let me know.

Ben

• dowerhouse
    dowerhouse
    Community Member

Hi Ben, yes Touch ID enabled in the app security settings. I’ve tried rebooting the phone and uninstalling and reinstalling the app. It went away right after I deleted my old primary vault

• @dowerhouse

Well, ... I can say for sure that isn’t the expected behavior. To troubleshoot further I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your iPhone:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/457788/#Comment_457788
    • Your forum username: dowerhouse

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• dowerhouse
    dowerhouse
    Community Member

Thanks Ben, I’ve done that. The number is #QJF-11637-418

Regards,
    Lisa

• dowerhouse
    dowerhouse
    Community Member

Ben, did you update something? I got up this morning and the Touch ID button had reappeared
    Lisa

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2018

@dowerhouse: Nope. No updates to 1Password for iOS recently. Maybe something in the OS was hung up for some reason. Weird. We'll see if the diagnostics provide any clues. Glad to hear Touch ID is working again on your device! :)

ref: QJF-11637-418

• Hi @dowerhouse

Please make sure the 1Password > Settings > Advanced > Security > Require Master Password preference is set appropriately based on your desires here. The default is ‘never,’ though it isn’t actually a terrible idea to type your Master Password on occasion such that hopefully it is more easily memorized. Touch ID is not a replacement for the Master Password even with the ‘never’ setting enabled. Touch ID isn’t infallable, it can stop working, and some actions require the Master Password regardless.

Ben

• dowerhouse
    dowerhouse
    Community Member

Hi Ben, has any looked at my diagnostics? The Touch ID has disappeared again
    Thanks,
    Lisa

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2018

@dowerhouse: Thanks for following up. Indeed, as Ben mentioned, it depends on your settings. If you've got 1Password Settings > Advanced > Security > Require Master Password set to "2 Weeks", I'd expect you to need to enter your Master Password again about now. You can change it to something else if you wish, but be sure you do not forget your Master Password. You will need it at some point no matter what — like when you update to iOS 12 in a week or so.

• dowerhouse
    dowerhouse
    Community Member

Brenty, I don’t think you understand my issue. I’m being required all of a sudden to enter my password every time I open the app. The password option has just disappeared. I’ve rebooted the phone and no matter what I try the app only allows me to use the password. I have not changed my settings, Touch ID worked earlier today but then just stopped. It happened a few weeks back and the overnight reappeared again. It appears to be some kind of intermittent glitch

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dowerhouse: Thanks for getting back to me. You may be right, if you're having a different issue now. What do you mean by this?

The password option has just disappeared.

As Ben mentioned earlier, we don't have any insight into or control over Touch ID. That's all the OS and Apple's hardware. We can only politely ask (using Apple's APIs) to use it. So it sounds like you may need to seek assistance from Apple. But if you'll give me the specifics of the steps you're taking and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect, I may be able to suggest something.

• dowerhouse
    dowerhouse
    Community Member

How can you say it’s nothing to do with you. It’s your app? I have Touch ID enabled in the app security settings and when I open the app it just doesn’t have the fingerprint option on the screen anymore. Only the password field. If this cannot be fixed I would like my subscription cancelled and refunded. Touch ID is working everywhere else on my phone except in your app. I have only been experiencing this problem since switching from the Dropbox syncing and paying for your annual subscription licence. For years I used the once off licence version and this never happened. I thought paying for the subscription would mean a better experience but it all worked better on the older version

• @dowerhouse

This wouldn’t have anything to do with membership vs standalone, but I do have a further thought here: Please try opening 1Password > Settings > Security and turn OFF Touch ID. Then open the Settings app and turn off Touch ID & Passcode > Device Unlock. Restart the device. Enable Settings > Touch ID & Passcode > Device Unlock. Finally re-enable Touch ID in 1Password > Settings > Security.

Please let us know how that turns out.

Ben

• dowerhouse
    dowerhouse
    Community Member

Hi Ben,
    I’ve tried that but it didn’t work. It fixed itself after a few hours but the issue has now reoccurred.

• In that case please send us a fresh diagnostic report:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/457789/#Comment_457789

It seems a lot has changed on your device since the last report so it would be good to get a fresh look.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.