Standalone License Set Up

Long time user of 1Password. Have been a big fan. Finally was able to convince my father to make the leap, but only after Standalone Licenses were available again. I haven't upgraded to version 7 yet, myself, so I need to figure out the differences in setting him up for version 7. It seems very difficult to find clear instructions.

He bought a separate licence for both Windows and Mac. (Not a membership.) Want to set it up so his PC and Mac stay in sync. (Still able to do that thru Dropbox, right?) And it's also not clear how to start a new data file (or whatever they call it now) for a new user. The options only seem to be "sign up as a member/start a trial" or sync to a file from a previous version. But we're starting from scratch here.

If anyone can please give me a clear, step-by-step guide as to how to set this up on both computers. Including exactly what to click when... because it seems to be a secret. We're not technically inept... but it seems to be only leading him to "membership" despite offering (and taking his money) for the two standalone licenses.

Comments

• @AKB8555: Since creating a new standalone vault is a write action and 1Password 7 is read-only without a license, this is one of the few cases in which you'll need to add your license first. So here's the steps on Windows:

1. Download his license file from the link in the e-mail he should have received after purchasing.
    2. Launch 1Password and, with the very first screen showing without other apps in front of it, open his downloads folder and double-click that license file. You should see a small window pop up telling him he's licensed.
    3. Along with that window, you'll see a new option on that Welcome screen to "Create a new vault on this PC". Click that.
    4. Give his vault a name and password, then choose a folder to sync it with. If you want Dropbox, just make sure to choose somewhere in his Dropbox folder.
    5. Click continue and there you are! He can start adding items from there.

On the Mac, he'll follow much the same steps with a few tweaks. First, he won't need to set up sync again since he did that one Windows, so step 4 can be nixed. He'll instead want to select "Dropbox" on the Welcome screen in step 3 rather than creating a new standalone vault so he can open the same vault he created on Windows. From there, 1Password for Mac should actually find his vault on its own, but if it doesn't he should see the option to manually select his vault.

Of course, if y'all run into any trouble at all, we're here for ya. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.