Chrome Extension and 1Password 4

After a new Windows install, I installed 1Password 4 (4.6) and got it working with my Dropbox account. But the Chrome extension doesn't work and shows a window "Looking for the 1Password helper" and fails stating "Could not connect to 1Password". What is the helper, and how do I get the extension to find the standalone program?

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• bundtkatebundtkate

Team Member

Hello, @Luxury, and welcome to the forum! :chuffed: I'd like you to double-check a setting for me, as this is the culprit for these sorts of issue 9 times out of 10. Open and unlock the main 1Password 4 app and choose Help > Advanced. Make sure "Use Native Messaging protocol" is checked, then restart your browser(s) and give it another try. Let me know what you find out. :+1:

• Hi @bundtkate

Thank you! it works for me now. I have been using 1Password since it was launched and loved it so much that i have encouraged all my friends to use it. Great work, great team.

Continue the good work!

• GregGreg

Team Member

@wswliew: On behalf of Kate you are very welcome! :) I am glad to hear everything works fine now.

Feel free to contact us anytime, we are always here for you.

Cheers,
    Greg

• I have 1Password 4 for windows and my new laptop will not properly install the correct extension in Chrome. I tried going into the application and checked the "Use Native Messaging protocol". It says my 1Password is read only. It offers for me to add a license, but then directed me to folders that didn't have a license. I tried Firefox and the extension file was corrupt - I tried a couple times. Can you please assist?

• GregGreg

Team Member

Hi @terrin,

If you are using 1Password 4 for Windows, please make sure that you do not have 1Password 7 installed on your computer. If you do, please do the following:

1) On the Start menu, select Settings.
    2) Select System > Apps & features.
    3) Find 1Password 7 there and then select Uninstall.
    4) Reboot your PC.

1Password extension should connect to 1Password 4 after that. Let me know if my hunch is correct here. Thank you! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• I do not have 1Password 7 on my laptop. One day the extension didn't work. Another day it did. Then it didn't (When I wrote the above). Then the next day it did. I am not doing anything different! When it doesn't work it can't find my vault and thinks I subscribe monthly. When it does work, then it works and my passwords can be found in the extension. Very strange.

• brentybrenty

Team Member

@terrin: This discussion is about 1Password 4. The only way 1Password would have any reference to a subscription at all would be if you're using version 6 or 7. Please tell me the exact OS, 1Password (from Windows installed programs), browser, and extension versions you're using. What you're describing is due to having multiple versions installed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file