Can no longer open 1Password client on Windows 10

I purchased 1Password stand along for my family a long time back and have been using it on my Windows 10 desktop, a Windows 7 laptop and and a couple Android phones. As of today all of a sudden the PC clients are putting up a new start screen that asks if I want to create a new Data or open an existing Data and if I try to select my existing data at Dropbox it just keeps giving an error message that it's not a data folder.
If I try opening 1Password on my phone it shows a screen that says Vault already converted, but if I click OK it still seems to work, but I can't use it on my PC.

This is very concerning as I don't understand why something would be changed on me for an app I paid for and I have many important accounts and data stored in this app. This is very troubling.

I hope someone can tell me how to get back into this data from my PC.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: windows 10
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @barnold,

Thank you for reaching out and using 1Password! I am sorry to hear you bumped into troubles with it.

Am I right to understand that you installed 1Password 7 on your Android device and converted your vault? If so, please try to install 1Password 4 for Windows (the version you are using now seems to be outdated) and open your new .opvault in Dropbox there.

If it doesn't work, please create a Diagnostics Report from your phone, where you can access your data in 1Password, and send it to support+windows@agilebits.com.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. Thank you in advance!

Cheers,
    Greg

• barnold
    barnold
    Community Member

@Greg I appreciate your help, but I'm a bit confused here so hoping to clarify first before doing anything.

I didn't change anything myself, yet all of a sudden the version on my phone looks different and while I can access my data (only by phone) it keeps saying Vault converted yet I never chose to do this.

Can you tell my why this change was forced on me?

I did confirm that the version on my phone is now 7.0.3, but are you saying I should uninstall that from my phone and install a different version or are you saying I should install a different version on my Windows PC?

I'm very concerned that I'll do something wrong and lose my data and at the moment I can't get into it on my PC to even export a CSV or something as a precaution.

Please let me know what I should do to get the PC part working again. Thanks in advance.

• barnold
    barnold
    Community Member

Also, I should add that when I tried to log into my account from your website it asks for my Secret Key which I have no idea what that is, but the instructions that tell me where to find it say to go into my phone app settings and account, but when I look there it just asks me to start a free trial or to log into my account in which case I'm back to not being able to log in. Is there any support number I can call to get help. This is very confusing and frustrating to try to do via email and posting. I have a support ticket #FLZ-62881-188 but have not yet heard back.

• @barnold: Greg was referring to the Windows app here. Based on your screenshot, it looks like you're using 1Password 1 for Windows, which won't be able to read OPVault, but 1Password 4 can. To explain further, 1Password 7 for Android only supports the OPVault format. It's updated, faster, and more secure. It's about time we started enforcing its use, so we decided to take that plunge with 1Password 7. This is why your data was converted – it needs to be in order to use 1Password 7 for Android.

So, what should you do? On Windows:

1. Install 1Password 4 as Greg noted.
    2. Choose "Used 1Password Before" on the Welcome screen and select the OPVault file 1Password for Android created.
    3. Unlock it with your Master Password and check if you're able to see all of your data there.
    4. If all is well, uninstall 1Password 4.

On the Android front, the error you're seeing isn't one I'm familiar with, so I've asked a teammate to have a look at the e-mail you sent. I don't want to cluttering things up with speculation here, so once I hear back from him either he or I will reply to your e-mail with some steps to try on Android. Do let me know if this helps on Windows, though. I defintiely understand how important it is to have access to this data and want to make sure yh

• barnold
    barnold
    Community Member

@bundtkate Hi thanks for the prompt rely! In step 4 you say to uninstall 1password 4, did you mean to say 1? So basically on my PC I'm installing version 4 while I already have a different version installed, then I am going to uninstall the version 1 after I confirm that version 4 works.

• barnold
    barnold
    Community Member

So I did the install of 1Password 4 for Windows on my PC and it recognized my license and opened my data without having me select anything as I did not see the option welcome screen you indicated so no message about Used 1Password before.

I can still access my data from my phone but now when I update something on my PC it doesn't sync to what's on my phone so I suspect one may be using the opvault and one not, so I have no idea what to do.

I really wish that I could have been given some advance notice and instructions when you all decided to enforce this change. At the moment I'm not sure how to get things synced again between devices without messing it all up.

• @barnold: D'oh! Yes, I did mean 1Password 1, nice catch! I see so little of it these days, clearly my fingers are unaccustomed to typing it, sorry! 🙈

1Password 4 being smarter than I expected there also looks to be ruining the magic – if it hadn't been so smart, you'd have opened the OPVault and I'd have looked more like a wizard. :wink: If you choose File > Reopen 1Password vault in 1Password 4, you'll see a check next to the open vault (likely AgileKeychain). In 1Password for Android, you can check it's sync file to make sure it's the OPVault (and get a filepath to help out on Windows):

1. Open and unlock 1Password for Android.
    2. Tap Settings > Sync. You'll see a filepath under the toggle to enable Dropbox sync (probably OPVault).

Armed with this info, pop back over to Windows a moment and do this:

1. Unlock 1Password 4.
    2. Choose File > Open 1Password Vault.
    3. Find the vault on Dropbox your Android is pointed to and open it up.

The two should now be on the same page. :+1:

• barnold
    barnold
    Community Member

Hi, actually it's the opposite. When I look in the 1Password safe 4 on my PC it shows both the agilekeychain file path AND the opvault path but the opvault is the one checked.

On my phone under the Dropbox sync file path it shows the opposite and it's pointed at the agilekeychain path but no obvious way to change it but I suppose I could switch the PC one to the agilekeychain. Not sure.

Currently I still get the constant pop-up windows in my phone that the Vault is already converted and I should email Support. Is there some way to get that to stop?

• @barnold In order to have 1Password 7 on your Android device and 1Password 4 on your PC sync the same data, you'll want to leave your PC syncing with the OPVault path. The AgileKeychain format is no longer supported in 1Password 7, which is why you are seeing the message about converting your vault (or in this case, not being able to).

I've replied in our email conversation with the steps needed to reset 1Password on your Android device so that it points to the same OPVault path as 1Password 4 on your PC. Please give that a try and let us know how it goes.

• barnold
    barnold
    Community Member

@mverde thanks this worked out. I was able to delete the data on my phones by going into phone settings > apps > and clearing data for 1password, then going back into 1password on phone it allowed me to re-select my storage option and point to the opvault. Seems to work fine now so far. cheers.

• @barnold I'm glad that you were able to get everything syncing correctly with the new vault. Feel free to let us know if you need help with anything else. In the meantime, I wish you continued enjoyment of 1Password!

This discussion has been closed.