Additional web form parameters

I've been trying to get 1password X to fill in the additional 'account' parameter in the aws console login page. Nothing I do seems to work.

I have some logins for other accounts, but I've just created a new IAM account and wanted to save it's details. When I enter the account, username and password, 1password X doesn't seem to notice it has different details and doesn't offer to save a new login.

It did do this for the form when I created the account though. When I tried to add the account field to that login, I see that I can't edit the web form properties to add new ones

I found this discussion topic: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/81102/how-to-add-custom-web-form-details

This suggests that I can create a new login and it pre-fills everything from the web form (i see this was an old thread and for 1 password 4). I tried it in 1password X but it opens a new page in the browser with a new login, but everything is empty. It doesn't pre-fill the filled in fields on the form, and has nothing about the web form properties. I tried this in chrome and firefox and it's the same.

Is this expected?

How can I get 1PasswordX to see the additional web form properties?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1PasswordX 1.10.2
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@matty666: Thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry for the confusion. 1Password X doesn't have any editing capabilities, much less a way to customize web form details. And frankly having individual users manage that doesn't scale very well, so our focus is on improving saving and filling at sites so that they work better for any 1Password users there.

In that spirit, can you give me the URL where you're having this issue, and the browser version you're using? I'll be happy to test it to see if there's a workaround, and perhaps something we can do to improve 1Password in future updates. Thanks in advance! :)

• matty666
    matty666
    Community Member

@brenty ahh ok that explains it. The starting url is https://console.aws.amazon.com/console but you get redirected to one of the console login pages from there and it's those pages that I am trying to complete. It has 3 fields, account, username and password, as well as a hidden totp field that gets shown if totp is enabled. I do find that 1password x seems to be inconsistent when detecting if it should ask me to save the login, sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@matty666: Ah, there's an existing thread on this topic regarding 1Password for Mac. A lot of that won't apply in your case, but you may find some of the discussion surrounding the peculiarities of Amazon's sign in processes instructive.

To be clear, 1Password X doesn't have an autosave mechanism at all. You'd need to select the save login option from the dropdown menu. And if you have the same login credentials saved already, it shouldn't give you the option to save them again.

I find that going through the first page just takes me to a second, with the three fields like you describe (account, username, password), and seems to just pass the "account name" as an argument in the URL, like this:

https://signin.aws.amazon.com/oauth?redirect_uri=https://console.aws.amazon.com/console/home?state=hashArgs%23&isauthcode=true&client_id=arn:aws:iam::015428540659:user/homepage&response_type=code&iam_user=true&account=test

To be honest I can't recall how I created that login originally. Try saving a new login at that page. I think that may do the trick. Doing so allowed me to save and fill a new login there without trouble using 1Password X beta just now. Let me know!

• matty666
    matty666
    Community Member

@brenty ahh i didn't know that it doesn't autosave. I must have been using a combination of 1 password for windows in one browser and 1password x in another.

So I open the browser (firefox) log in to 1password x, then navigate to the url i quoted, enter my account name and it takes me to the second page where it's pre-filled the account name, and is asking for my iam user name and password. I open 1password x by clicking on the button in the toolbar and click new item and select login, and it opens a new page with a standard set of fields, none of which are filled in... is this how it's supposed to work? I have to fill everything in manually including the url? And there doesn't seem to be a way to fill in additional web form fields...

• matty666
    matty666
    Community Member

actually... i really should RTFM. Saving a login is done by interacting with the 1password icon in the form itself, not the toolbar button. I just tried the above and saved a new login by clicking on the form icon and saving new login and it's saved the web form details properly... I think this is my muscle memory, i've always interacted with password managers via their toolbar button, but that's different for 1Password X

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@brenty ahh i didn't know that it doesn't autosave. I must have been using a combination of 1 password for windows in one browser and 1password x in another.

@matty666: Well...we have wrought that confusion. Sorry about that! :sweat:

So I open the browser (firefox) log in to 1password x, then navigate to the url i quoted, enter my account name and it takes me to the second page where it's pre-filled the account name, and is asking for my iam user name and password. I open 1password x by clicking on the button in the toolbar and click new item and select login, and it opens a new page with a standard set of fields, none of which are filled in... is this how it's supposed to work? I have to fill everything in manually including the url? And there doesn't seem to be a way to fill in additional web form fields...

With 1Password X, which does not have an item editor, that just take you to the 1Password.com web interface to create a new item. Saving a login in the browser is a bit different. "Web form details" are limited to the desktop apps.

actually... i really should RTFM. Saving a login is done by interacting with the 1password icon in the form itself, not the toolbar button. I just tried the above and saved a new login by clicking on the form icon and saving new login and it's saved the web form details properly... I think this is my muscle memory, i've always interacted with password managers via their toolbar button, but that's different for 1Password X

Actually, I really should have linked to the 1Password X "manual" earlier myself. Sorry! Indeed, it's a departure from what you may be used to with the 1Password desktop app/extension. I didn't realize you were unfamiliar with 1Password X, but I think we're on the same page now. It sounds like you were successfully with my suggestion above, but please let me know if you have any other questions at all! :)

This discussion has been closed.