Internal error when trying to unlock 1Password from inside another app

Options
simplesurfer
simplesurfer
Community Member
edited September 2018 in Android

Here's what's causing an internal error for me that prevents me from unlocking and using 1Password. I think it is a bug, but maybe you can point me in a direction where I can fix it myself.

1. I open my bank's mobile authenticator app. It prompts me for a password. To fill the password field, I choose the 1Password item, see screenshot 1:

1. 1Password prompts me to unlock with the master password or my finger print. I put my finger on the finger print sensor. An error message pops up, see screenshot 2:

Here's what the error message says in text (easier for future googlers who are looing for this):

INTERNAL ERROR: (Failed to unlock some accounts: ---Unlocking Accounts--- Loaded 1 accounts. Unlocking [SOME_UNIQUE_KEY] (2) suspended: F ...
ERROR:Cannot decrypt Encrypted Login for account [SOME_OTHER_UNIQUE_KEY] Some accounts failed to unlock)

In the background, 1Password changes to a "browse existing logins" interface. However, I cannot use that interface either, and the internal error keeps popping up in slight variations.

When I open the stand-alone app from the regular app launcher, I then also get the error message (after I've put my finger to the sensor). I have to go to Settings > Accounts and manualy unlock my account with the master password. Then, the app seems to be in a sound state again, and I can also unlock it with my finger print again.

Background and potential reason for this: I originally created a regular single-person account for my free trial months. After the months was over, my girlfriend and me decided to create a shared family account. I joined that family account and added it to my Android app. The free account was since suspended, and I have removed it from the app. When I go into the "Accounts" settings of the app, I can only the the new family account. The old single-person trial account is not shown. However, this error message leads me to believe there might still be an internal state leftover from the suspended account.

1Password Version: 7.0.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android
Sync Type: 1Password family account sync

Comments

• Hi @simplesurfer. If you're able to, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Android device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Android)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+android@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/95232/internal-error-when-trying-to-unlock-1password-from-inside-another-app#latest
    • Your forum username: simplesurfer

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. If you're not able to send the report, please email support+android@1password.com anyway, and we can look into your account and see what the issue may be. Thanks very much!

• nbert
    nbert
    Community Member
    Options

I am experiencing the exact same issue. I emailed you the diagnostics. Support ID is RLR-11145-235

A quick fix would be highly appreciated. I need to re-login into the account each time I am using 1Password on my phone which is quite nerve wrecking as you can imagine :-). Thanks a lot.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks! I see that we've received your email, so we can continue the conversation there. We'll take a look at the diagnostics and see if we can find the cause. :)

ref: RLR-11145-235

• saad
    edited September 2018
    Options

@simplesurfer @nbert Thanks for reporting this error to us and for sending us diagnostic reports. We are currently investigating the issue.

I want to first rule out Fingerprint Unlock in 1Password, and figure out if that is causing this problem. Could I ask you to confirm if the issue persists after disabling Fingerprint Unlock in 1Password? Here’s what you will need to do:

1. Open the 1Password app
    2. Go into Settings > Security and disable Fingerprint Unlock. You’ll need your Master Password to unlock next time.
    3. Go into the Settings apps on your phone, and select Apps > 1Password > Force stop.
    4. Open 1Password again and unlock using your Master Password

Let me know if you get any errors after unlocking.

• simplesurfer
    simplesurfer
    Community Member
    Options

I have also mailed my diagnostics (ticket id #FFM-42271-914)

It has taken me a few days because the issue had disappeared for some reason. It has happened again today and I have sent the diagnostics immediately after, so the time of the error happening should hopefully be included in the log.

I have tried the suggestion of disabling finger print -- on my first try the error didn't show up when unlocking with the pass phrase. However, since I am not 100% sure how to reproduce the error, I don't know if this means that it is definitely caused by the fingerprint unlock.

Will update this if I observe anything new. In the meantime I hope you can learn something from the diagnostics report.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@simplesurfer: Thank you! I think we may have identified the cause. Just to clarify, you're able to unlock using your current Master Password after disabling fingerprint unlock? If so, you should be able to do so as well after re-enabling it. Let me know either way. :)

• simplesurfer
    simplesurfer
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, when I re-enable the fingerprint, it seems I can unlock my vault using fingerprint without the error appearing.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@simplesurfer: Sorry to be a pain, but are you also able to unlock using your Master Password now that you've re-enabled fingerprint unlock? I know that's counterintuitive, but I just want to make sure you're all good. :)

• simplesurfer
    simplesurfer
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry, I missed that part of the question.

I've just tried and can confirm I can also unlock it with the master password, after having re-enabled the fingerprint unlock.

So far, it seems fine. Will report back in case I hit any more glitches.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No worries. Glad to hear that all is well! We're here if you need us. :)

• nbert
    nbert
    Community Member
    Options

I also tested it and turning the fingerprint unlock off and on again did the trick for me! Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Awesome! Thanks for letting us know. Glad that helped, and we're here if you need anything else. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.