Loss of device

Intruth
Intruth
Community Member

If I were to lose all my Apple devices, how could I regain access to my 1Password data if I had chosen to sync to iCloud?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:lost devices

Comments

• Hi @Intruth

Are you using Apple’s two-factor authentication?

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Do you have your Apple ID credentials memorized?

Ben

• Intruth
    Intruth
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

Apple forced me to start using two factor authentication a while back (I forget why).

I don’t have my Apple ID credentials memorised.

Intruth

• In that case I don't see how you'd recover if you were to lose all of your devices.

One possible solution (other than not losing all of your devices ;) ) is to switch from syncing your data with iCloud to using a 1Password membership. With a membership you'd be given an Emergency Kit which you could print and store in a fire safe or safety deposit box which would have all of the information on it you'd need in order to recover from losing your devices:

Get to know your Emergency Kit | 1Password

You can read about some of the other benefits of membership in this guide:

What are the benefits of a 1Password membership?

If you're interested you can learn about how to migrate from your current setup here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• Intruth
    Intruth
    Community Member

Thanks Ben. I’d really appreciate it if you’d keep the non-subscription version alive though.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

I long ago said that 1Password should really be called 2Password or even 3Password!!

In the sense that one might well need the Apple ID password or the Dropbox password as well as the 1PW master password to recover from a disaster.

As Ben says, this isn't necessary with a subscription, but one still needs the Secret Key available somewhere. It is safe to have the secret key written down.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@danco: The great thing about the Secret Key though is that it's going to be available to the user almost by accident (but not quite) unless they really lose all of the devices where they use 1Password. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Intruth: Well, we've released 1Password 7 across all platforms this past year. Does that count? :tongue:

• Intruth
    Intruth
    Community Member

@Brenty Thanks for telling me that.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Intruth: Sure thing! We just "wrapped up" with 1Password for Android version 7 late last month. Cheers! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.