Impossible to open local vault!

Options
Vexed
Vexed
Community Member

Here we ago again .

Since I’ve never been able to successfully sync my Mac & phone via WLAN (feel free to peruse my other posts if you’re so inclined), I've always been forced to manually transfer the vault to my phone.

I don’t do this very often since the passwords and other info needed on my phone rarely change. And because it requires reinstalling 1P on my phone each time to accomplish this TRIVIAL task.

But recently I changed a few passwords on my computer that I need to log in to sites on my phone. I haven’t updated the data in several months, probably since my last furious complaint on this very issue was posted. Although I’ve been trying to do this for two weeks and am finally fed up enough and have the time to post yet another complaint.

I have an Android vault on my Mac, and when something changes I copy it from the Primary vault to the Android one. And then I transfer the Android.agilekeychain file to my phone.

And there it sits until deleted because it CAN’T BE OPENED!!!

And it’s STILL impossible to import a vault that’s sitting right there in a folder on the phone! Am I supposed to uninstall/reinstall 1Password every time and then re-import the damn things during initial setup?

I will NEVER use a 1P account and I will NEVER shoot my passwords out into space - meaning DropBox or "the cloud." If they’re anywhere but in my possession they’re vulnerable to hacking, data loss etc.

STOP FORCING PEOPLE TO USE OUTSIDE SOURCES TO USE THE APP THEY PAID FOR!
Or at least make WLAN 100% compatible with so ALL users can sync locally.

But I see no reason for continuing to omit the option to open a local vault. Once you were made aware this is a major hindrance for some customers, you should have added it asap. Just look how much time I’ve wasted drafting this complaint! More than an hour now, thanks! [sarcasm]

And certainly v7 should have it! I haven’t read all the release notes and forum comments, but I’m not aware this defect has been corrected.

And WHY were there so many things needing fixing in v7.1.1?! Looks like v7 was released prematurely and your customers have become unknowing and unpaid beta testers. >_<

**Fixed a crash that could occur when viewing Secure Notes. {apple-issues#1724}

Fixed an issue that prevented the deletion of custom icons in certain situations. {apple-issues#1793}

Custom icons are now preserved for items in standalone vaults, and not overwritten by website previews. {apple-issues#1161}

Fixed a crash that could happen when communicating with 1Password.com. {apple-issues#1782}

Fixed a crash that would happen when filling into a web page if the website field contained something other than a URL. {apple-issues#1781}

Fixed a crash that could occur when migrating a 1Password 6 configuration that was using an Agile Keychain.

Fixed an issue that would cause the main window to forget its size and location on screen. {apple-issues#99}

Fixed a bug that would cause 1Password to errantly attempt to fill login details when unlocking. {apple-issues#1955}

Fixed an issue where editing an item's URLs and cancelling the save would still display the edited URLs. {apple-issues#1922}

Fixed an issue where 1Password mini could not be opened when Firefox or Chrome were active but without active windows. {apple-issues#1113}

Fixed an issue where items may fail to load on launch.**

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.12.6
Sync Type: Manually, except even that doesn’t work!

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm sorry, but I don't follow. Do you have a question about 1Password? If you're referring to the issue you were having in December, I never heard back from you. Given that you continue to have problems like this with your particular setup where others do not, I'd suggest giving a simpler, less configuration-dependent sync method a try.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're right. It's inconvenient to have to reinstall 1Password for Android to configure sync differently. That's definitely something we'd like to change, but it doesn't come up as often as requests for other features and improvements — I imagine because there aren't many people doing what you're doing. It's still something we want to address anyway, but we do need to prioritize work that helps a larger number of users. I'm sorry that leaves you in an unhappy position, but currently the only options available in 1Password for Android are a) to use one of the supported sync options or b) reinstall the app to reconfigure it if you continue doing things the way you have been.

Regarding "the cloud", you're also correct that website breaches happen all the time. We're very aware of that, both because of our work helping people be aware of accounts they need to update and also, of course, because we're running our own service now as well. But while other websites have user data or passwords stolen from them, so far, that's not the case for 1Password.com. I suspect that someone will be successful in breaking into our server someday though. That's why we don't have the keys to anyone's data.](https://1pw.ca/whitepaper) And a 1Password.com user with a weak Master Password is still protected by their 128-bit, randomly generated Secret Key. Using a weak password is a bad idea obviously, but in the case of a theft from our server, the attacker will not be able to decrypt the data without both the user's Master Password and Secret Key, neither of which are ever transmitted to us. We also offer two-factor authentication for all 1Password.com members. So, although you're right to be concerned about the bad stuff that goes on out there, those kinds of attacks will not work against 1Password.com users; someone would need to get their account credentials from them directly. I hope that helps to clarify.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

For those for whom sync doesn’t work and they don’t trust their data on the Web, transferring vaults from one device to another SHOULD be an option because it’s the ONLY option. Right now 1P Android is virtually useless to me.

I'm sorry to hear that. Our focus is not and just can't be on the use case of manually copying files between devices using USB or whatever though. We hear from very very few people who do that at all.

I can’t visit sites on my phone where passwords were created or changed in the past several months because I haven’t felt like futzing around with the uninstall/reinstall/import BS again. 😖

I hear you. That would drive me nuts too. There are better options, but I can't force you to use them.

"those kinds of attacks will not work against 1Password.com users"

You keep thinking that if it helps you sleep. 🤡 I don’t believe for a second that your system is more secure than the Pentagon, Yahoo, Target, Equifax etc. which have all been breached.

Wake up, man! ;) All of those companies had customer/user/citizen secrets stolen from them. We can't have something stolen from us which we do not possess. We do not have 1Password users' secrets in the first place. Certainly we're not invulnerable, but that's why this is so important. Saying that those breaches apply to 1Password.com is like saying that iPhones have viruses because PCs do and both have batteries. Seriously, read the white paper. :)

This discussion has been closed.