Problem with 1Password in Edge, data area passed to a system call is too small [Edge issue, not 1P]

Options
oksoftware
oksoftware
Community Member
edited September 2018 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hello, my Edge extension crashes every time I start the Edge browser. It worked some time ago, but today when I wanted to use it I saw the following error message is:

[Window Title]
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\DC5C6510.1Password_7.2.575.0_x64__2v019pwa6amcg\Native\1Password.Edge.Native.exe

[Content]
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\DC5C6510.1Password_7.2.575.0_x64__2v019pwa6amcg\Native\1Password.Edge.Native.exe

Data area passed to a system call is too small.

[OK]

I tried to reinstall the Extension, but its behaviour hasn't changed.

1Password Version: 7.2.576
Extension Version: 7.2.575
OS Version: Windows 10 (version 1803, build 17134.228)
Sync Type: Family

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @oksoftware,

Thank you for reporting this!

It seems that there is something going wrong with Microsoft Edge on your system. Would you consider backing up your computer and try resetting Edge settings as well as running system file checker? Let me know if you agree to do that and I will provide further instructions.

Additionally, please check if you have all of the Windows updates installed. Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

• oksoftware
    oksoftware
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Greg, I have no problem to do this. My computer is backed up on a daily basis (and yes, the backup is functional :-) ) and I have nothing special in my Edge, so I can reset any settings as necessary. What should I do?

• oksoftware
    oksoftware
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, I just tried following steps:
    1. I uninstalled the 1Password extension
    2. I cleared all browsing history and everything what was available to be cleared :-)
    3. I run sfc /scannow as admin, but no problem found
    4. I removed the content of C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe
    5. I restored the Edge Browser by Windows PowerShell with elevated rights and running "Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml” -Verbose}"
    6. I installed the 1Password extension using Microsoft Store
    7. I allowed the extension to run

The Edge Browser looked very fresh, but the problem persists.

• MikeT
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi @oksoftware,

Data area passed to a system call is too small.

This is not a 1Password issue, it's a corruption in Edge. We've seen it in other Edge extensions as well but there is no quick fix for this, the last customer I helped with this ended up having to reinstall Windows to fix this corruption.

Unfortunately, if step 5 in your list didn't help, there's not much else that works. We've never found any way around this with 3-4 customers that reported this in the last few years.

You can try restoring to the previous Windows update, create a new Windows profile and so on but a clean reinstall is what worked in 2-3 cases for us. You can also try getting in touch with Microsoft to help with this.

• oksoftware
    oksoftware
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, I found a reason of the problem and also a solution.
    First I found that the problem also affected iTunes installed from Microsoft Store today. I was googling for a while and found that the problem can be caused by MS SQL Server's feature FILESTREAM, which is incompatible with Centennial apps/desktop bridge. Please, find technical details here. However you can't do much with the issue. The user affected by this issue has to find an SQL Instance with FILESTREAM feature enabled and disable it with all consequences (usually a malfunction of some other application). In my case I had to uninstall My Movies from Binnerupt and uninstall the instance of MS SQL Server 2014 created by them. Fortunately I didn't need the application and I had installed it just for one single task. Microsoft has a solution for MS SQL Server 2017, but not for others.
    After all those steps my 1Password Extension has started to work well.

• Nice find, we didn't see that information before. Unfortunately, if I recall correctly, other cases didn't have MS-SQL server installed.

We'll see if we can check for FILESTREAM/MySQL in the diagnostics report.

Thanks for the link!

• oksoftware
    oksoftware
    Community Member
    Options

What I found the issue has come with Windows 10 Version 1607 (so called Anniversary Update) in October 2017, together with Centennial bridge. At the page my link leads to, there are also steps to reproduce the issue. I hope it will help you. Fortunately most applications don't require the filestream mode of MS SQL.

• MikeT
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi @oksoftware,

That would rule out the original causes since we've seen reports (not ours) of it back in late 2016, it started with the original release of Windows 10.

The problem with the article is that it requires admin rights to run the fltmc instances command to see if FILESTREAM is enabled. That is a no-go for us. We'll have to figure out a different way to diagnostically pinpoint it in our reports.

• oksoftware
    oksoftware
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT, I thought those steps could help you to reproduce the issue and to find some registry or system changes when filestream is enabled or disabled.

• Hi @oksoftware,

Yep, that's what I meant by figuring out a different way, such as process name, registry entries, maybe configuration files and so on. Since it only affects MS SQL 2014 and not 2017, it can be tricky. We'll also try to get in touch with Microsoft to get more details.

• luos3m
    luos3m
    Community Member
    Options

Hello

Trawling the support forum for exactly the same problem made be stumble on this thread. Thank you thank you! The solution you provided (oksoftware) worked for me as well. I also had MyMovies installed. Removing it, including all remnants of SQL server, made the extension work! Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, it's a bit of an edge ( :lol: ) case. Glad you found it, and that oksoftware 's experience was able to help you!

This discussion has been closed.