"Update existing/Create new" dialog after 2 factor authentication input

Options

I have a site that I use 2FA on and when entering the one time passcode after login 1password pops up a dialog asking whether to update the existing password or create a new entry in the vault. It is easy enough to say Cancel but can I turn this off?

1Password Version: 7.1.1
Extension Version: 4.7.2
OS Version: OSX 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @mkowske,

I'm guessing they're using a password field for the 2FA code, would that be accurate? It's probably something we'll want to try and get 1Password to recognise but until we do you should be able to get 1Password to quell the prompts. The next time it appears for this page can you click the cog icon in the lower left hand corner of the dialog and select the menu option Never Autosave for this Site. That should stop future prompts for the 2FA code. If it doesn't please let us know.

• mkowske
    mkowske
    Community Member
    Options

That did work, however I assume anytime I change a password under that domain I will no longer get prompted to "update existing". There are about 4 or 5 different logins that all fall under this one 1password entry because they share a domain.

If I wanted to turn autosave back on how would I do that?

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Greetings @mkowske,

I believe you should find that you will still be prompted if their change password form is recognised as just that. The only way to tell would be to test and find out. Assuming you aren't prompted there is one of two ways to handle this.

1. You could remove the exception. If you look in the Browsers tab of 1Password's preferences you will find a text area and it will list a line per entry each exception. Deleting the line and closing the preferences dialog will see the prompting return.
    2. If you use the Password Generator from 1Password mini then each time you use it, whether it's to copy or fill it generates a Password item in your vault with a title and website field that match the open page in the browser. Most people aren't aware of these items as 1Password should delete them when it prompts you to update an item and you do so. Basically they exist as a safety net and are removed when their purpose is complete. You could leave the exception in place and manually update your Login item using the Password item if 1Password doesn't prompt.

Hopefully one of those helps. If you have any questions please let us know.

This discussion has been closed.