Extension question

Options

Hi
Why other details like credit cards and history and phone no needed for 1P extension ?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hello @ronen,

I'm not sure I follow. The grey text is more a description provided by Safari rather than a specific list of permissions. 1Password has the ability to see the entire page and modify it so that it can fill and because the extension can see the page if you enter any sensitive data, like credit card details it means 1Password can see that data. You don't mind 1Password seeing it, you probably store the data in 1Password anyway but it's a reminder that dinky extensions, of which there are many out there, have huge access and people should stop and ask if they fully trust every extension they've installed.

So 1Password sees every page you visit but all it cares about is if there's a password field and maybe it should prompt to save or you ask it to fill. The extension doesn't track anything and only reports back to the 1Password client when it needs to for usability reasons i.e. autosave.

• ronen
    ronen
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks
    Is 1Password extension data is under my 1Password App?
    Meaning: as far as I understand, only me can see my 1Password data. Does it include the extension data also?

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hello @ronen,

The standard extension is merely a conduit between the browser and 1Password. So the extension never has any direct access to your vault. It scans the webpage for fields to interact with and passes those to 1Password. 1Password will reply with a set of instructions, telling the extension what to fill and where. Once complete the extension discards the information and so there isn't really any extension data in terms of stored data. The only thing the extension saves are the details for the channel obfuscation and they're saved by the browser and not accessible to anything but our extension.

1Password X is different and if you're curious a post to https://discussions.agilebits.com/categories/1password-x will ensure the right people find your questions. As it's a standalone extension it does differ from how the companion one works.

This discussion has been closed.