Date in credit cards

Options

When filling in a credit card, some sites ask for a date in the form MMYY, some as MM/YY and some as MM/YYYY, as well as some asking for month and year in separate fields.

I am just wondering how 1PW copes with these. I am specifically asking because one recent site asked for MM/YY and 1PW filled in as MMYY so I had to add the separator manually.

Also does the start date fill in? I had one site recently that insisted on a start date (which is unusual) and I don't think 1PW filled it in even though the data is my 1PW entry for that card.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @danco,

1Password tries to infer the required format based on things like the required field length, field type and the placeholder text. So if the placeholder text displays as MM/YY we try to match that when generating the string to use in filling. If you've found a site where it gets it wrong I can file an issue to see if there's something we can tweak to improve compatibility.

1Password won't fill the issue date though, something I'm painfully aware of being based in the UK. So despite the presence of the field that's something that has to be manually set. While it would be nice if 1Password could handle this I'm not aware of any plans to do so. It may be that's something limited to just one or two locations and we're very much in the minority of users that would appreciate it.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

One site where things go wrong is the Bridge Theatre, https://bridgetheatre.co.uk

When I enter my credit card details, 1PW enters mmyy, but the site asks for mm/yy

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019
    Options

Cheers @danco,

So I can see why 1Password gets it wrong. Except for the span element after the input field there's nothing to guide 1Password that it needs to add the / to the text for that field. The only thing that I noticed that maybe 1Password could use as part of any inference was that the max length was 5 which would be two digits, separator and then the final two digits. That may be enough to go on without creating bad filling elsewhere. I shall file a report.

The site was also handy because of something else somebody had reported. They were noting that the titles created by the new filling/saving code were sometimes completely rubbish and this turned out to be another excellent example to add to the list. That's two handy uses for this site so thank you :smile:

ref: xplatform/brain#12

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

mm/yy is shown as text next to the date field, but I suppose it is difficult to know that this is relevant, since it isn't part of the actual filling procedure.

What's the title issue? The site (as with several theatre sites) says somewhere that it is powered by Spektrix, so it wouldn't surprise me if the title created by 1PW was Spektrix rather than Bridge Theatre.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

The title was captured from the iframe rather than the outer document and what it captured was Login/Logout. I'm not sure basing a title on an iframe is ever a good idea anyway so we should address that.

This discussion has been closed.