Password generator enhancements

Hi 1Password team! I came from the land of LastPass and though I left them for good reasons they did do somethings slightly better than my new beloved password manager. One of these areas I feel they do better is in the password generator. I know the idea behind a generator is randomize the "password" but there are cases where I need more control because maybe the site is silly and doesn't allow a specific symbol (i.e. only accepts @ but not #). And even generating pins is not really easy to do with 1Password. Hopefully you all can take this feedback and add in some new granular control options for those of us who need it :)

1Password Version: 7.2.576
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 1803
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@WinPass: Absolutely! Thanks for getting in touch. It's something we encounter too, of course. Our priority is randomness, since that's how you get the strongest passwords, but our new password generator has, under the hood, some logic we can potentially use in the future to do something like what you're describing. We do want to make it intuitive though, but also avoid having people exclude characters unnecessarily, which could leave them with weaker passwords from then on if they (not unexpectedly) forget to reset it. PINs in particular are already supported in our new password generator which debuted in 1Password X, and we'll be bringing that to our other apps as well. Cheers! :)

• WinPass
    WinPass
    Community Member

Thank you for the info. I agree that the generator should be random as to protect us and our accounts. But again sometimes we want to be more random than the website allows... so control would be very welcome, maybe have it reset to default after every password it generates if the settings were adjusted thus ensuring we don't get stuck in the habbit? Just a thought. :) Good to know about the PIN generator in 1Password X.. I didn't know about that as I only use Edge so no 1Pw X for me :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

control would be very welcome, maybe have it reset to default after every password it generates if the settings were adjusted thus ensuring we don't get stuck in the habbit

I hear you. And I'd personally be very happy with that arrangement. Just not sure that would make others happy. Something to consider though. :)

Nothing to share at this time, but I do hope we'll be able to get 1Password X working in Edge in the future. And, if nothing else, we'll be bringing the new password generator to all of the apps either way. Cheers! ;)

• shadow123
    shadow123
    Community Member

Along the same lines, Roboform allows you to cut and paste the symbols/characters from a website and paste them into roboform's password generator. This is useful when a website limits you to a specific set of 8 symbols/characters that you must choose at least one of. For 1Password my choice in that situation is to either manually paste in the necessary 2 or 3 symbols/characters i want or keep generating passwords in the hope that the right characters magically appear, which they seldom do.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's something we've considered. It's very rare though that a website presents a nice, neat list like that which can be copied and pasted though. Many don't even tell you what the requirements are, and just complain when your password is "not acceptable". For example, I just pulled directly from a rather common financial site:

Password Guidelines
    Please use 6 to 20 letters, numbers, and/or special characters. Letters are case-sensitive.
    YOU MAY NOT USE:
    " # & * < > [ ] ` { }
    Sequences (e.g., 12345 or 11111)
    Personal info (SSN, phone #, DOB)
    A password you've used before

And only if you happen to click this:

How to create a strong password.

do you get details on what is actually allowed (I think):

A strong password has:
    Special characters:
    % ' ( ) + , . - / : ; = ? \ ^ _ | ~ ! @ $
    No sequences (e.g., 12345 or 11111)
    No personal info (SSN, phone #, DOB)

So if we did something like you're describing, it would need to have logic to parse stuff like this, because people would just copy and paste that whole thing. To do otherwise would just be a pain. Also,

Example of strong password: KingHenryThe8%^(

No.

I haven't found it difficult to click "regenerate" in 1Password a few times to get one that works, but we will continue to explore other things we can do in the future as well. Thanks for your feedback!

This discussion has been closed.