Custom Map Fields

Options
Matty279
Matty279
Community Member
edited September 2018 in 1Password in the Browser

There are some web pages that I frequently need to populate with data from 1Password but the fields don't map correctly to login, identity or credit card items and I have to fill out the missing fields manually.

How does 1Password map information to fields on a web page?

Does it map using the HTML element's name?

Is there a way to overcome this problem?

Is it possible to map fields on a particular web page with a custom designed login, identity or credit card item in 1Password?

For example, if I try to populate the following page using an identity item, the account number field is missing and the full name field populates with my surname only. When I then populate using a credit card item, the expiry date and security number fields are not populated unlike other web pages that accept credit card information. What I want to achieve is to create a custom 1Password item that correctly populates this whole page including the account number field instead of using an existing identity item and credit card item then filling in the many gaps.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 7.2.576
OS Version: Windows 10 Professional
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @Matty279,

I take it this is a form that you need to fill regularly. If it is then you could try manually saving a Login item. It isn't the intended purpose of Login items but it can work depending on the form and it's a trick I use myself for a regular booking I make.

At the moment you cannot add fillable custom fields to a Credit Card or Identity item so there won't be any hope of adding an account number to either and see it filled in that form. If filling with a Credit Card item though doesn't fill the three fields and set the expiry date then I would love to learn if I can reach that page by way of a test account so I can file an issue. If it's a utility bill or financial institute then it probably won't be possible but on the off-chance that a simple account creation is all that is required I'm happy to do so.

If you do try the manual saving trick what I would recommend is using the steps laid out on our support page "How to save a Login manually in your browser" ( https://support.1password.com/save-login-manually/ ) and then if that security code field is a password field I would recommend setting the submit option for this item to never so that it doesn't try submitting before you're ready. At a guess you will want to save the form before setting the amount if that varies.

• Matty279
    Matty279
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables

I tried the approach you suggested. The security code was saved to the 1Password login as the "Username" and the remaining parameters were saved under "Web form details". When I reload the page in Chrome and attempt to load the page from the saved login, none of the fields populate. Any suggestions as to how this might be resolved?

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hello @Matty279,

I think I'd need to see the page, otherwise it would be a lot of trial and error. Is this a page that I can potentially reach? I don't mind creating a test account, I do it all the time. If it's a case of preferring not to share the site in our public support forum we can easily jump to email if you like.

• Matty279
    Matty279
    Community Member
    Options
  • littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @Matty279,

So after a brief fight with the site and fooling it with a VPN I managed to reach the page. Weirdly I could fill it in Safari but when I tested in Chrome I found the same as you. I dug a bit and I found with a small tweak I could get all the fields to fill.

It seems the issue is that the main document is loaded from https://www.fonebox.com.au but the page uses an iframe for the actual form and that's loaded from https://fonetrak.com.au/pay/. 1Password won't fill details into a frame from another domain but what it should have done is saved the second URL as a second website field.

If you edit the Login item and add a second website field set to https://fonetrak.com.au/ do you find filling now does a better job?

It looks like we'll never be able to correctly set the expiry date I'm afraid. Rather than use a select field they're using a combination of buttons, CSS and the list element. I never understand why people insist on this, it only makes things harder for adapting to differing platforms and various assistive tools for those with any sort of impairments but who am I to question. Hopefully the fact that the rest of the fields fill will help make up for this shortfall.

• Matty279
    Matty279
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables

That solved the issue! Thanks for the detail. I'll use this approach in future and examine the HTML for iframe elements if the page doesn't populate correctly.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hello @Matty279,

I've also filed an issue because that really feels like a bug at our end. I'm glad I was able to help a bit though.

ref: xplatform/filling-issues#270

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Can you be more specific?

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Hi @craigac,

My reference to VPN wasn't that it helped with filling, it was that I had to use one to reach the page at all. The issue is that the two required domains aren't added to the Login item when saving and 1Password won't fill unless the domains in the website fields match.

This discussion has been closed.