What category to use?

jnettles
jnettles
Community Member

Wondering if there are any support articles or documents or videos that help to define when to use a specific category when saving information that will be used to login to websites/apps/etc.

Example - My kid loves Noodles & Co. So we're eating there pretty often. My wife is always yelling at me (in a loving way) to remember to scan our rewards number so we can accumulate the points. This is done via an app on my phone. I don't know which "Category" to save this login info under. Is it:

• Login
  • Password
  • Membership
  • Reward Program

Some of the categories are pretty self explanatory. Outdoor License is very descriptive - especially with the fish symbol next to it.

Another example - I own multiple businesses and have multiple email addresses. Should those be saved in the "Email Account" category or in the "Identity" category?

Any direction/clarification would be greatly appreciated. Moving over from Dashlane Premium so still trying to get the hang of the new system.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:categories

Comments

• Hi @jnettles,

If you’re storing credentials that you want to be able to fill into a web page or an app those have to be stored in Logins. The rest is largely up to you, but Identities and Credit Cards do also have some filling capability. Taking a look at what fields are included in the templates for each category may help in the decision making process.

Your rewards number for Noodles & Co could probably go in Rewards Program, unless there is a web page you want to be able to login to in order to view that information that comes with a username and password, in which case it belongs in Logins. For some things it may make sense to have items in different categories. For example, I store the information off my drivers license in the drivers license category, but my credentials for my state’s departement of motor vehicles are in a login item.

Ben

• jnettles
    jnettles
    Community Member

Is there a document that tells what "line items" have filling capability for each of the categories?

• @jnettles,

There isn’t, but generally (not necessarily exhaustive):

• Logins: username, password, and TOTP
    • Identities: Everything in the Identification section
    • Credit Cards: Everything in the first section

Other categories do not have filling capabilities.

Ben

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni

As I don't have any real hunting licenses for things to confused with, I just put everything under Outdoor Licenses. That way I don't have to make decisions.

Of course (if this were actually true) this would be yet another example of why I am not a good role model.1

1. I am, however, a plausible jelly roll model. ↩︎

This discussion has been closed.