Going from 6 to 7 [OPVault is supported in 1Password 6 for Mac]

Dan_A
Dan_A
Community Member
edited September 2018 in Android

Hi there,

This has probably been addressed before but I'm still confused after reading through the answers, thank you for your help.

I have a 1Password 6 license bought in 2014. My passwords are synced between my Macs and my Android phone via Dropbox.

I've been refraining from updating the 1Password app to 1Password 7 on my android phone.

I do not need to move to 1Password 7 on my computer, this version works fine for me, thank you for the good work.

• Do I need to update my Android app?
  • If I do update the Android app, would I be able to continue using my IP 6 license on my computers or would I be obliged to buy a new license?

Kind regards,

D

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Dan_A
    Dan_A
    Community Member

Anyone?

• peri
    edited September 2018

Hey @Dan_A. Please have a look at my reply in this thread. It should answer your question. To reiterate. the OPVault format has been supported since 2012 and you can sync this format with 1Password 6 for Mac and 1Password 4 for Windows.

• Dan_A
    Dan_A
    Community Member

Thank you for your answer @peri , I'm getting there.

Could you confirm this is correct?
    On my mac using the 1Password 6 software, if I convert my vault from the Agile Keychain format to the OPVault format, I would be able to update my android app to v.7 without having to upgrade and buy a new license for my mac? (pointing to the new OPVault that I would sync in Dropbox)

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Dan_A: Indeed, both 1Password for Mac version 6 and 1Password for Android version 7 support OPVault, and that can sync via Dropbox.

• Dan_A
    Dan_A
    Community Member

Thank you brenty, I've been able to move from 1Password for Android version 6 to 7. This post was of great help: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/460920/#Comment_460920

I've been using and appreciating 1Password for a few years now. One thing though, I found the lack of information provided to transition without wanting to buy a new license really lacking, creating a quite frustrating situation. It probably created a lot of work on your side too, answering questions from lost customers. I hope things will be clearer regarding future iterations.

Thank you and kind regards,

Dan

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Dan_A: I'm not sure I follow. 1Password for Android is a free update if you've already purchased version 6. Is there something else you need help with? Honestly, with local vaults in a "standalone" setup, there isn't any "one-size-fits-all" solution, so it's really best for us to help folks on a case-by-case basis, and we're happy to do it. :)

• Dan_A
    Dan_A
    Community Member

@brenty that's the trick :) All the information that was sent my way was that there was a new version of both the computer and mobile software. That If I wanted to use version 7 I needed to buy a new subscription. Then seeing feedback from people upgrading their mobile app without seeing first they had to, if that applied to them, transform their old vault in the "newer" format. And many believing that this was pushing an unwanted new subscription with them. I'm just giving you feedback from a user (me) who found the whole thing confusing. Happy with the help you guys provided here.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I'm sorry for the confusion, but there's a reason why even the straight-from-install setup screen includes both options to sign into or sign up for a 1Password.com membership and use the standalone app with a local vault (Dropbox, local storage, etc.): we support all of these options. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.