Profile picture upside down

Options

Hi,

Windows 10 Pro 1803 using Chrome Version 69.0.3497.92 (Official Build) (64-bit) or Edge 42.17134.1.0.

When I upload a profile photo -- tried multiple photos -- the photo appears upside down in the crop tool and is uploaded as upside down.

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 1803
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:profile picture upside down

Comments

• MikeT
    edited September 2018
    Options

Hi @senoj,

Thanks for writing in.

It is not clear to which service you're trying to upload the profile for, is this for your 1Password.com account avatar, the forum avatar or a profile to your items within your 1Password database?

Did you also open the said image in your Photo app on your PC to make sure it is saved in the right orientation?

• senoj
    senoj
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike,

Sorry, it's the profile for my 1Password account avatar accessed via the web interface.

I have reproduced with multiple photos. They all open with the correct orientation in other tools. I even made a copy of one, inverted the rotation, and saved a copy, figuring 1Password might flip the orientation on import and it would be correct in the end. No, still upside down.

The one thing these photos have in common is they are all downloaded from Google Photos. Perhaps Google Photos has placed something in the metadata that is causing the issue. If I download a random photo from the web, 1Password uploads with the correct orientation.

• senoj
    senoj
    Community Member
    Options

One other thing in common -- all taken with an iPhone.

And, as I play with other photos, the orientation is not always upside down. Sometimes a photo in portrait orientation is imported as landscape.

I just did an experiment -- took a photo with the phone in portrait orientation -- emailed it to myself -- tried to use it in 1Password. No Google Photos in the mix. Photo imported as landscape.

You can (hopefully) reproduce with this.

• Hi @senoj,

I'm not able to reproduce this with your image.

What if you upload it for your forum account's avatar here, does it upload correctly?

• senoj
    senoj
    Community Member
    Options

Yep, that's fine.

• @senoj: I actually can reproduce this. I have a photo that was taken with my boyfriend's fancy camera a few days ago. It's in the equivalent of "portrait" orientation and seems to upload in landscape so my head is sideways. I can't begin to fathom why this is the case, but since I'm able to reproduce it, I can work with our web team to try to figure it out so we can fix it up. Thanks for passing this along!

• bundtkate
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hey again, @senoj! So, baffled by why this was happening (and interested in getting my profile picture right side up again), I ran off to make sad faces at our web team and turns out this is a known issue with the web interface losing the orientation metadata when uploading the photo that cropped up when we added the option to make simple edits to the photo in the web interface. In my efforts to reorient myself, I found landscape photos tend to behave better. You might give a landscape photo a try and see if you can't get yourself upright again. :chuffed:

ref: b5/b5#2599

• senoj
    senoj
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you @bundtkate -- luckily I'm goofy looking in landscape or portrait orientation so it won't matter much.

Thanks again!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It might as well just put me upside down then! :lol: Anyway, thanks for bringing this up. We'll see what we can do. :)

This discussion has been closed.