Differentiating between users.

Options
ryanturner17
ryanturner17
Community Member

I am currently using 1password for families and am not quite sure how to tell the difference between different users passwords. This might be more of a feature request. But it would be great if we could TAG or Color Code each user differently so I could quickly tell which password is mine or my mothers or fathers. On some it's ok because it shows the username below the name, but if you have the company name in there it shows that, so it will just show Bank of America and then Bank of America below it so we can't tell who's is who's. Is there a solution to quickly filtering by user?
Thank you

1Password Version: 7.1.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: iCloud I think. Couldn't find in preferences.

Comments

• @ryanturner17

1Password doesn’t have any concept of “ownership” of items. Items don’t belong to a particular user. If you’d like to make this distinction for yourself I’d suggest editing the items you want to differentiate and adding an identifying string to the title of the item. For example:

“Bank of America [Ben]” instead of “Bank of America”

I hope that helps!

Ben

• ryanturner17
    ryanturner17
    Community Member
    Options

Yep, thats similar to what we were doing. Thanks for clarifying.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ryanturner17 - another possibility here is that you're not making use of Personal vaults. In 1Password Families, each member gets his/her own personal vault, as well as access to the family-wide Shared vault. Both have their uses. Personal vaults aren't so you can keep secrets from your own family, but because of the issue you just raised: everyone in the family is likely to have several identical items: a Facebook account, maybe a Gmail account, various other things. They're individual-use (you don't use your father's email, for example, and he doesn't use yours). But if you place them all into the Shared vault, then you wind up with two or three or four of what look like identical items but aren't. If each of you keeps these in your Personal vaults, and you either remove "Shared" from the All Vaults view or keep your main view as your Personal vault, you also won't have this problem of seeing multiple "identical" items. Just a thought.

• ryanturner17
    ryanturner17
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the reply @Lars I think Bens suggestion is how I will proceed. Luckily we don't have many in there right now so it was easy to update the Shared Vault.
    Thanks for all your help.

• You’re most welcome. :) If we can be of further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.