Password not saved; mismatch between Safari extension & app; history missing?

Options
stuckfly
stuckfly
Community Member

On a site used to renew license creds for my wife's job, I was able to use the 1Password browser extension 4.7.2 for Safari 11.1.2 to login, but had to set a new password. I used the generator and updated the record when the popup popped up. There was a glitch in the form and I had to reload the page and login failed. Wrong password. So, I went here:
https://support.1password.com/recover-unsaved-password/

In the browser extension there is one item in Logins matching the website and one item (total) in Passwords. The Logins item and the Passwords item are exactly the same, which seems odd considering I generated a new password. In both items, The URL and userID match, but the password does not work. Under Web Form Details there is another password entry that is different than the one revealed at the top of the record under password. That seems odd, too. The fact Passwords shows only one item is also odd, considering I've generated many passwords since installing the app and extension. There are no date/time stamps associated with anything in the extension data.

It gets weirder and more frustrating… I opened the 1Password 7 app 7.1.1 and again found one item in Logins for the website and one (total) item in Passwords. The item in Passwords was created and modified a month ago; its title is the same as the one in the extension, but the URL and password are different and there are no other fields for the item. Preferences shows last sync was 3 hrs ago, and I see no way to force an immediate sync (that would be a good feature, right?). The item in Logins again has the right URL and userID, but a different password than any of the others. It also has a second password field entry under Web Form Details, but it matches the password revealed at the top. The record create and mod date/time are May 04/same time. So, even older record. If sync was 3 hrs ago, this should have been updated, right?

The records shown in the Firefox extension are exactly the same data as in the Safari extension.

Something very wonky seems to be going on, and until all the login data twixt the Safari extension and the app are resolved for this one website login I really can't move forward with any confidence in my 1Password family subscription and vaults, including the shared and private vaults for my wife! I came over from LastPass awhile back because LastPass is glitchy, but it never scrambled my login data.

I have a couple other sites where the login data work fine, but records for filling in forms quit working. Maybe that's a separate issue and maybe not. My generated passwords are not leaving any history trail for recovery or diagnostics that I can find, they are not being saved reliably even when the popup appears, and the data are not syncing correctly. Or so it all appears.

So, I'll reset the password and record it on paper (and try in the browser extension) so I can get this license renewed on time; but how can I get 1Password working right, please?

1Password Version: 7.1.1
Extension Version: 4.7.2
OS Version: MacOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@stuckfly: If you used 1Password to fill the generated password, it would have been saved as Password item in your vault. That's the "history trail for recovery". If you're not seeing it, that's probably because you're viewing the wrong vault, and/or you've changed settings in 1Password Preferences > Vaults (Vault for saving, Show in All Vaults) and lost track of that. Please take a look and tell me what you find.

• stuckfly
    stuckfly
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I checked that early because you've posted about it on several similar threads. I have it set to show all vaults and save to my private one, which is correct. I think I've resolved some of this problem though; at least the reason why my updated Login item failed.

By creating a new Login for the same login page and a new password, which I entered manually this time (not necessary), I paid more attention to the popup and there's a menu to select the login record to update. Hadn't seen that before! Maybe because there aren't many sites for which I have multiple accounts? Anyway, I figure I must have updated the wrong one and I'll fix that when I have to login to whatever account I messed up.

As for items in Passwords (generated passwords), the only item in the app is for a totally different website (needed); but as I said, the only item in the browser extension was displaying the wrong title but the right login fields. I trashed it, and then there was still one item showing in the Passwords category with the same title as before, but now the data values match the record in the app! So, fixed but really weird behavior. Also, I should have many items in Passwords, but at least the one I have is correct in both places now.

Dates in the app for the single Password record are months older than the data stored there, so I don't know what's going on with syncing. But my new Login did sync over and the deleted one in the extension got deleted in the app, too. So, I'll be double-checking every generated password entry going forward. If I don't post here again then the software is fine and I'll be getting professional help with the operating system between my ears;)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@stuckfly ("operating system between my ears") :lol: Sounds good. Let us know if you run into issues/trouble. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.