Can we get tablet mode support?

Options

Hi all! I was wondering if there are any plans to support Windows 10 tablet mode soon? Right now if I put my Surface in tablet mode (like when I fold back my keyboard) 1Password does not function all that great... The extension especially does not work when the device is in tablet mode. Thoughts?

1Password Version: 7.2.576
Extension Version: Edge 7.2.575
OS Version: Windows 10 1803
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• Kristian
    Kristian
    Community Member
    Options

I miss that feature too. Would be great if 1P support the win 10 tablet mode.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Kristian, @WinPass: It sounds like you're asking if we're going to build a brand new UWP app for the Windows Store...and the jury's out on that one. But what functionality in particular are you looking for?

• Kristian
    Kristian
    Community Member
    Options

I know, that creating a brand new UWP app is time consuming and not very useful as long as the Windows 7 users are needed to be support. Btw. maybe it is possible for you to bring your x86 to the store? That would make the install experience better. But that is another topic ;)

I and I think @WinPass too are talking for better support of the Windows 10 tablet mode. The most annoying thing is, that if I use Edge and click on the 1Password Extension, that the 1Password mini popups up and the Edge gets in the background. If I select then one item, the edge doesn't come back. I stay on the grey background. I need to hit start and open Edge again.

• WinPass
    WinPass
    Community Member
    Options

I would love to have a UWP app or even if just having your x86 app in the store would be awesome like @Kristian mentioned but no that’s not what I was talking about here.

Windows 10 has a “tablet mode” that adjusts aspects of the UI and the behavior of applications to act more like Windows 8. The start menu goes full screen, applications (x86 and UWP alike) open in full screen all the time, and the taskbar changes behavior. Basically trying to make Windows more touch friendly on devices like 2-in1s and Surface devices.

Right now when I go into tablet mode 1Password behaves oddly; primarily the extension. It would be awesome if we could get some improvements on this experience. :)

• Hi @WinPass,

That's a known limitation of tablet mode, every app and its windows runs in its own full screen. The regular 1Password browser extension doesn't have any UI or data, it talks to the main 1Password process and 1Password will bring up 1Password mini view. It's a separate native UI, which means to Windows, it's a separate UI that pops up on top of the browsers and that means it goes into its own window.

There is no fix as it is the intended purpose of tablet mode.

What we can do is bring 1Password X to Edge, it's a self-contained 1Password extension with its own UI and database that can run within the browser's UI. That means tablet support out of the box. You can do this now with 1Password X for Firefox or Chrome like so:

• WinPass
    WinPass
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT I'm all for using 1Password X in Edge as the native desktop app has been giving me tons of trouble as it relates to Edge; but X seems to be the answer to a lot of things when it comes to Edge but still no true timeline of when it is coming from you all. I understand it takes time but for now I'm not having the greatest experiences with 1Password on my Windows devices.. yes I could switch to Chrome/Firefox and be fine but that's not something I personally want to do.

I truly appreciate the work you all are doing as security is my number one concern overall (which you all nail!) but at some point I need my password manager to be a silent hero... something that just works and doesn't make me think. Your iOS and macOS versions appear to be just that... but the Windows version seems to have a much harder time :(

PS my comment slowly turned into an overall comment not specifically related to tablet mode lol :) your answer makes complete sense on how it handles the UI of applications while in tablet mode.

• Hi @WinPass,

We do understand and Windows is actually far harder to develop for compared to iOS and macOS versions, not to mention we still have to support Windows 7 and later releases as opposed to Apple adopting new technologies and dropping old ones at much faster pace than anyone else. It's not an excuse but it just takes more code and time to make 1Password better on Windows.

Even if we made the current 1Password extension perfect in Edge, it would still have this issue with the tablet mode. It was never designed for what it is used on Windows 10, it was designed for single-window Windows 8 apps. Bringing 1Password X to Edge is not enough because it is limited to 1Password.com members, it cannot work with standalone vaults and so, we'd still have to have both 1Password extensions available.

• WinPass
    WinPass
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT I can see that and I wish Microsoft was more aggressive with "support-ability" like Apple as well, which they kind of have been with Windows 7 at least to an extent but I digress.

I get bringing X to Edge doesn't fix the issue for those who continue to use the native desktop/extension option but at least there would be options for those of use who want to use tablet mode :) I will have to mention that LastPass, with their extremely outdated app, did have a semi nice solution to this in that their "Windows 8" app could snap to the side of the browser making it a little nicer. This can be done in Windows 10 as well and have seen some apps take advantage of this. Though not as intuitive as an extension that can fill things in for me, it would at least make the interaction a bit more polished. Again though this comes back to bringing the app to the Microsoft store which i know you all have said no to so far.

Anyways, I appreciate the added info and happy you are all at least aware of the weirdness that is Tablet Mode in Win 10. I look forward to hopefully getting X for Edge so that I can have a more seamless experience since I am using 1Password cloud services :D

Keep up the great work!

• Hi @WinPass,

Again though this comes back to bringing the app to the Microsoft store which i know you all have said no to so far.

I don't think we ever said no to that specifically. I think there's a bit of a confusion because of various changes that Microsoft keeps making regarding Universal Windows Platform apps (UWP) vs bridged apps for Microsoft Store and don't get us started on the Windows' S releases. We may have said no to UWP version (we're not bringing back support for Windows Phones). As a bridged desktop app, we do really want to bring it; we have to bring 1Password to the Microsoft Store at some point for various reasons. The current obstacle is that if we do this now, it will only work in Edge, so we're just replacing one problem with a different problem. This is something else we've been talking to Microsoft about and hope to have a solution in place that'd work in all browsers.

This discussion has been closed.